update retro rear wheel?

JimJams
JimJams Posts: 54
edited October 2012 in Workshop
Hi
Can anyone advise. I need to put a modern 135mm axle mountain bike hubbed wheel in an old Dawes road frame (about 125mm dropout spacing) Any ideas? Saw off 10mm off QR axle or are there alternatives?
Any help gratefully welcome.

Comments

  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Assuming it's steel, can you not carefully cold set (ie bend) the rear dropouts to the required spacing?

    See Sheldon Brown for advice on how.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    JimJams wrote:
    Hi
    Can anyone advise. I need to put a modern 135mm axle mountain bike hubbed wheel in an old Dawes road frame (about 125mm dropout spacing) Any ideas? Saw off 10mm off QR axle or are there alternatives?
    Any help gratefully welcome.
    why? seems an odd thing to be doing ?
    the width is the HUB not the axle.

    as above cold setting the frame is the only way. BUT you then may have issues with the braking surface position.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • JimJams
    JimJams Posts: 54
    nicklouse wrote:
    JimJams wrote:
    Hi
    Can anyone advise. I need to put a modern 135mm axle mountain bike hubbed wheel in an old Dawes road frame (about 125mm dropout spacing) Any ideas? Saw off 10mm off QR axle or are there alternatives?
    Any help gratefully welcome.
    why? seems an odd thing to be doing ?
    the width is the HUB not the axle.

    as above cold setting the frame is the only way. BUT you then may have issues with the braking surface position.

    Thanks for responses both. I'm doing it to run a freehubbed..hub, i.e. stronger than the screw-on freewheel hub whose axle keeps snapping due to position of bearings.

    Never thought of bending - so cold as in not putting any heat in the dropout?
  • JimJams
    JimJams Posts: 54
    ps, was thinking of cutting axle because it's QR I'm dealing with, so axle doesn't protrude if I were to remove spacers.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    JimJams wrote:
    ps, was thinking of cutting axle because it's QR I'm dealing with, so axle doesn't protrude if I were to remove spacers.
    Ok remove spacers and then rebuild the wheel as the rim will be in the wrong place.

    again WHY?

    what is stopping you from getting a correct wheel?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • JimJams
    JimJams Posts: 54
    Thanks for the advice folks - ended up cutting down the axle and adjusting spacers - needed a bit of dishing but it worked. Next time I think I'll cold set the frame though as it'll be handy to fit any wheel in.
    @nicklouse - just wanted to use the wheel I had. Thanks for advice.