New bike - Christened

peat
peat Posts: 1,242
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
So, i picked up my first roadie in the week (Trek 2.3) and finally got round to a small ride on Saturday. No problem, very enjoyable. I was using the flats & toe-clips supplied.

Sunday, i bolted on the SPD's i got and set off for a 20 miler to work out what all the fuss was about with clipless pedals.

After a panicky pull away from the first set of lights, when i couldn't get clipped in and was in front of a load of cars, i went straight off into the open countryside so i could practice in relative solitude.

Anyway, a few practice stops and i was feeling confident with them. Then i pulled out onto a road where i knew a tricky, mucky narrow section was just around the corner. I saw a car was coming in the distance so decided i'd let them go so they didn't have to sit behind me. I pulled over into a farmyard gateway and attempted to track-stand while they passed. The rougher surface just caused the front to bobble a little, i lost my balance momentarily, tried to unclip but had my weight all in the wrong place. At that moment i knew i was a goner so whack the brakes on full, turned into the fall, got down on the top tube and gently tumbled to the deck. I shot up on my feet and picked the bike up, the passing car was good enough to stop and ask if i was ok. Just dented pride.....

Anyway, get back home and clean up. Realised i have scratched the pedal quite badly, scuffed the saddle and ripped a little bit of bar-tape. Could be worse, but gutting nonetheless.

Bike officially christened!

Onwards and upwards!

Comments

• kayo74
    kayo74 Posts: 299
    How ever long you have been using spd there will always be accidents. Many times I've done it usually at peak times at traffic lights and over we go. Get up, laugh to yourself and zoom off quick!!
  • I know exactly how you feel peat .. exactly the same happened to me yesterday, fortunately I did more damage to me than the bike :wink: sore today but going to man up and look forward to next time!
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I had a clipless moment right outside my front gate a couple of months ago. Came to a stop, unclipped my left foot as I always do but started leaning to the right. Threw out my left hand to grab the fence but missed so over I went. Ended up hitting my knee off the kerb surrounding a patch of grass and stil have a bit of a scar from it.

Fortunatly other than a bit of a scratched hood the bike is fine.
  • What? You said the bike was fine! :(
  • peat
    Yeah, it was only after giving it some TLC later that i noticed. Also scratched the brake lever a bit.

It's alright, i like a bit of scar tissue. Adds character.
  • Good point. Bar tape is easy enough to re-do. After you've fallen off a few more times. :wink:
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    gutted for you mate ,least your ok.onwards and upwards.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • greentea
    greentea Posts: 180
    What's your point Peat? :(
  • peat
    Y'know. Sharing thoughts and experiences with like-minded strangers on the internet. Forum stuff.
  • greentea
    Peat wrote:
    Y'know. Sharing thoughts and experiences with like-minded strangers on the internet. Forum stuff.

Why? :|
  • peat
    ha. I know your game! I SEE YOU!
  • greentea
    Peat wrote:
    ha. I know your game! I SEE YOU!

Good. Now man up and smash a 50-miler.

And remember, if you fall off we dont want to know. Unless you break a few bones then come back and tell us so we can chuckle our nuts off...

'scratched some bar tape' my fekin ars*. :roll: