Canyon Nerve cf 9.0 Ltd

BillyG
BillyG Posts: 7
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi,
I purchased the above bike in medium and await it's delivery in 3 weeks time.
I ordered size medium,18.5", as this was the advice given by Canyon UK,when I emailed them, however the size engine on their website recommends a small,16.5", when I emailed Canyon asking for clarification I did not get a reply.

I am 174cm tall with an inseam length of 80cm my other dimensions are an average 65cm body length and 65cm arm length.I weigh 72kg. I have a Giant TCR road bike size 50 (medium) which fits me ok. NO mountainbike.

The only thing that might sway things is that I am 65 years old although fairly flexible and the standover height given for the small bike appears taller than the medium.
Has anyone experience with Canyon MTB sizing, I would like to hear the advice of experienced "mountain men".

http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes ... tml?b=2756

Thanks in Advance,

Bill

Comments

• chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    BillyG wrote:
    Hi,
    the standover height given for the small bike appears taller than the medium.
    that will be a mistake, they've just got them the wrong way around, as for sizing, there have been a few people here viewtopic.php?f=10002&t=12789920&start=580 that have been in your situation, one thing if it turns out it is the wrong size for you, they will change it for the right size
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • BillyG
    Thanks for your reply chez_m356,
    I am aware that I can return the bike but I was hoping to avoid this as it may possibly involve a long wait until a suitable size becomes available, they do not carry stock like Giant etc.

I also wondered if the steeper slope on the down tube on the small size created a higher stand over ?
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    I've read about a few people on here where the website recommends small but when they phone and speak with Canyon they personally recommend the medium. The medium always works out fine.

I don't do metric for body parts but I ride a small Nerve XC 9 (similar geometry?) and I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam. The bike is perfect for me although I think I could have 'managed' with a medium and some saddle shuffling

PS Awesome bike!
  • BillyG
    Thanks for your reply GrenW,
    my size in imperial units 5' 9" with a 31 1/2" inseam and I think the Nerve XC has very similar geometry as you point out.
    When you say you could have "managed" with a medium do you mean the top tube length would be a little too long or the standover height would be too high? Do you have plenty of seat height adjustment still availible in the small size?
    What made you decide on the small size ? I had a Whyte 46 in medium years ago and felt that it was a little big, I could fit it ok but somehow it felt a bit cumbersome in slow uphill tight turns, I will be using the bike for Trail and Places like Glentress in Scotland.
  • streetvw
    streetvw Posts: 164
    I have a medium nerve XC7, i'm 5'9" with a 32" inside leg and the medium is spot on for me if that helps ;)
    2011 Canyon Nerve XC7 viewtopic.php?t=12765275
  • BillyG
    streetvw wrote:
    I have a medium nerve XC7, i'm 5'9" with a 32" inside leg and the medium is spot on for me if that helps ;)
    Thanks, it does help, I keep thinking I have made the wrong decision, to be honest I am still thinking of phoning up Canyon and changing my size to small, it really is doing my head in, I cannot make my mind up, I think there have been a few other people with the same conundrum.
    Anyone else out there that has gone through the same process and can help?

I have searched the internet to try to reach some conclusion, but so far, there has been no definitive answer.
    The perceived logic seems to be, if you are in between sizes to pick the smaller size, I think a 17 1/2" is my ideal size.
  • streetvw
    streetvw Posts: 164
    I would think very carefully before changing your order try doing your measurements again and get some one to help you. before I placed my order I went through my measurements with my brother as I was in the same boat boarder line small medium, in my case as i said the medium is bang on if i had gone for the small I think i would have been on the limit for my correct saddle height as it is it's ok.
    2011 Canyon Nerve XC7 viewtopic.php?t=12765275
  • BillyG
    Thanks for your reply Streetvw, looking at the picture of your bike against the wire fence, I can clearly see that there is plenty of seat post showing on your medium frame, on the grounds of that I think I will stick with the medium, as my inseam difference is only -1/2" on yours. Hopefully I will not have to send it back!
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    BillyG wrote:
    Thanks for your reply GrenW,
    my size in imperial units 5' 9" with a 31 1/2" inseam and I think the Nerve XC has very similar geometry as you point out.
    When you say you could have "managed" with a medium do you mean the top tube length would be a little too long or the standover height would be too high? Do you have plenty of seat height adjustment still availible in the small size?
    What made you decide on the small size ? I had a Whyte 46 in medium years ago and felt that it was a little big, I could fit it ok but somehow it felt a bit cumbersome in slow uphill tight turns, I will be using the bike for Trail and Places like Glentress in Scotland.

Standover is fine - plenty of seatpost showing so a medium would have been fine height-wise for me. Although a sharp stop can see that extra inch or so making the difference for my nads! Length wise, I moved my seat back an inch from the position it came with. Moving it forward an inch instead would have negated any difference in size if I'd gone for the medium.

So I think either would have fitted but I'll always go for a smaller frame if I can get away with it - lighter, more chucakble. My Cube hardtail is also a small and again fits nicely.

I think with your inch or so longer legs/body a medium may work better.
  • BillyG
    Thanks for your reply Grenw, I will see how the medium goes, I too was of the same opinion as you, go for the smallest frame if between two sizes.
  • krm
    krm Posts: 1
    Hi all,

really interested to hear from anyone who has the canyon cf 9.0 ltd.

is the claimed weight of 10.6 kg w/o pedals accurate? what did yours weigh 'out of the box'?

any info gratefully received

thx

keith - prospective buyer!

if anyone has one in yorkshire or cumbrai i could look at / stand over that would be even better!
  • Snappers
    Snappers Posts: 1
    Hi billyG how did you get on with the sizing on the cf,I am also looking at one I'm 5'11 and spoke to uk canyon and they suggested a large.looking at the geometry on the al medium and the cf large there's 16mm difference on the top tube length ,the cf being longer . I don't want to order one and have to swap it because of the waiting time thanks,