braking questions

djbenny
djbenny Posts: 5
edited October 2012 in MTB beginners
afternoon guys,

i am looking into installing disc brakes on my bike, i wanted to know how easy it is to install mechanical disc brakes and if there are any instructions with photos anywhere online as i haven't been able to locate anything with a lot of detail.

secondly i have paralysed limbs but am still able to cycle however unable to use both brakes at the same time. i was wondering if there was anything that would enable this?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    First off we need to know what components you have already. Disc ready wheels? Mounts on the forks and frame? And are your existing brake levers attached to the gear levers?

This is interesting:

viewtopic.php?f=40073&t=12812329

And similar exists for cable brakes.
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    edited October 2012
    djbenny wrote:
    afternoon guys,

i am looking into installing disc brakes on my bike, i wanted to know how easy it is to install mechanical disc brakes and if there are any instructions with photos anywhere online as i haven't been able to locate anything with a lot of detail.

secondly i have paralysed limbs but am still able to cycle however unable to use both brakes at the same time. i was wondering if there was anything that would enable this?

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12828463

31yANEL7RSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
  • Hmm, I'm sure I read an article in WMB about Brant Richards from On One and he was pictured riding a MTB with just one lever controlling both brakes, hydraulics though.
    Need more info on your current kit though as already stated....
  • bikaholic
    bikaholic Posts: 350
    Just borrow some ideas from the BMX world if you want to hook up two mechanical disc brake calipers to a single lever.

The most elegant way would be to use a modified upper gyro cable.

Less desirable would be to modify the lever to run dual cables - sometimes called the "London Mod" from years ago.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As stated you'll need new cables, forks and a frame with mounts and wheels that are disc compatable, you'll need the calipers and discs, I would suggest Avid BB5 or BB7 as they are the lowest lever effort and you'll need that if running both from one lever, I would suggest 180mm discs front and 160 rear to give decent balance.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    We built a bike for a customer with one arm - just stacked 2 Avid Juicy Ultimate brake levers on top of each other, he was able to operate them independantly.

Gyro will work for cable brakes, you can get splitters for hydro brakes. Or you could try calling Mojo and talking to Tom Wheeler.