carbon bike and the canal path

samsbike
samsbike Posts: 942
edited October 2012 in Road buying advice
I had the misfortune to ride a carbon planet x last weekend and it was rather nice.

However, I ride a very bumpy canal path and cycle path on my commute. I don't use why a carbon road bike could not do the journey, am I correct?

The reason for asking is that several shops have said it would not be a good idea. But carbon mtbs cope ok, so I cannot see why not?

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I think people imagine CF is fragile. It should not break from this use (I take my P-X over some rough stuff on regular rides I do). I suppose the lacquer could chip from flying stones (mine hasn't, I've had it 4 years). It certainly isn't ideal, but I don't think I would rule it out. I think the wheels and tyres might be the most vulnerable, but even then, my my PX wheels have refused to buckle!

Aluminium frames can be fragile, some tubes are so thin you could dent them with thumb pressure!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Are you the only person on the forum to have not seen the Sky Pinarello stunts video on Youtube ?

As Alfablue says - its more the tyres - if its bumpy then you'd want bigger tyres - and not all CF frames have clearance for them. PX do a nice Cross bike - masses of clearance there.
  • I'd say it depends on the canal path and distance you are on it. A cyclocross bike/wheels/tyres would probably cope fine but normal road wheels and tyres would not be a good idea. I commute for 25 miles a few times a week on the Leeds Liverpool canal path. It's pretty rough in places and because it's level and you are going pretty fast, it makes for a spine-numbing experience even on a hard-tail MTB! Hence I use a full suspension 29er. Faster and more comfortable than a CX bike over that distance IMHO.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    My CX race bike is carbon with carbon wheels - it's way faster than my 29er except on really technical singletrack or downhills. With regular wheels I've ridden it a few time on the Southdowns Way (100 miles offroad) in under 10 hours - complete with fist-sized flints - the MTBs took 2 hours longer.
    Fitting the biggest tyres you can and not running them rock-hard is the key to negotiating rough stuff.
    The round-the-world cycling record was broken by a guy riding a Planet-X Dirty Disco with 25mm Michelin Krylion tyres.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I ride a Specialized Roubaix and it's just fabulous. It's designed for racing on the cobbles, so more than up for a few canal paths. It really smooths out bad road surfaces, after seven hours on the bike only my legs were sore. I'd live on it if I could, just brilliant.

Did I mention it's great?
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    I do a very short piece of cycle path on my commute, probably less than a quarter of a mile. I'm on a full carbon bike with Ksyrium Elites on 23mm tyres and at first I was worried how the bike would cope but, it just takes it in it's stride.

To be honest some of the proper roads are worse to ride on!
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • Milkmaid
    Milkmaid Posts: 134
    You shouldn't use a CF bike on a canal towpath in case the frame gets wet. It's a well-known fact that carbon fibre dissolves when wet. It also melts if it gets too hot - that's why you should never keep a CF bike in a heated house. Unless you put it in the fridge.
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    unixnerd wrote:
    I ride a Specialized Roubaix and it's just fabulous. It's designed for racing on the cobbles, so more than up for a few canal paths. It really smooths out bad road surfaces, after seven hours on the bike only my legs were sore. I'd live on it if I could, just brilliant.

Did I mention it's great?

Get off the fence man and tell us what you really think :lol: