Wheels again - RS10's or Racing 7's

Twelly
Twelly Posts: 1,437
edited October 2012 in Road buying advice
Replacing the wheels on my 2012 Allez - currently has Alex S480 rims on generic hubs (stock).

I have found these options -
Shimano RS10
Fulcrum Racing 7

Or, for a little more than I wanted to spend...
Fulcrum Racing 5

Questions are:
a) Will the RS10's or Racing 7's be a noticable improvement?
b) RS10 or Racing 7? or another suggestion for similar budget?
c) Is it worth paying that bit more for the 5's? (bearing in mind I am buying a new Canyon next summer and the Spesh will become my bad weather/winter bike)

Cheers

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    OK, my 10 bob:

Will the RS10's or Racing 7's be a noticable improvement?
    Not really, unless there is a problem with your current wheels

Is it worth paying that bit more for the 5's? (bearing in mind I am buying a new Canyon next summer and the Spesh will become my bad weather/winter bike)
    So, there is your answer. Keep your current wheels and ride them through the winter on the bike that will be your winter bike anyway. If you want to spend some cash then get some decent winter wear, train hard and fly next spring!
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    I have bearing issues, bit of a wobble on the rear and a bad case of spend-money-on-my bike-itis so I figured I would just replace the wheelset rather than faff with truing and hub servicing (which I am well aware may be cheaper than new wheels). The bike has covered over 1200 miles this year with a good proportion of those miles being wet and gritty so I don't mind treating it to some new shoes.

I read an article in Cycling Active magazine this month which included them upgrading a Triban 3 with RS10's and they could not print enough superlatives to describe the difference they apparently made. This caught my attention as the Allez and Triban are very similar on spec.

But, if I won't see any real performance gains without spending unnecessary amounts of money, I will lower the budget and expectations to - 'cheap and round'

Cheers for your comments.
  • porker33
    porker33 Posts: 636
    I have a set of Rs10's which I use as winter wheels, quite impressive for £100 or so.....however they are not built to last or stay true.......
    Unless you need new wheels to ride, I would say the next noticeable step up in performance is RS80's or Racing 3's, both of which are about £300......You then have to spend £500+ to better those......That is how it is in cycling, the % improvement is not directly related to the £ spent!