Need quick reply - split in tyre - will it be ok?

Bike-Rich
Bike-Rich Posts: 275
edited October 2012 in Workshop
Hi all,

Wanted to do a bike ride today but just noticed this:

Split.jpg

Must of done it on last ride couple of weeks ago, just checked tyre pressure and still 110psi.
Do you think it is ok to use or should I replace?

Comments

• careful
    careful Posts: 720
    FWIW I would chance it on the rear (probably not the front) if it is only the rubber that is cut. You could always put a reinforcing patch inside for extra peace of mind.
  • For the sake of a few quid do not take the chance of a blowout and replace the tyre.
    Cheers, Gerry
    2010 Trek Madonne 4.7
    2011 Bmc Promachine SLC01
    2013 Wilier Cento 1SR
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,878
    if the tyre is bulging (even a little bit) at that point then i'd replace it - a bulge means the carcass has been cut badly enough to allow the pressure to distort the tyre

you could put a tyre boot in to keep riding it, or improvise with a bit of old tyre or length of toothpaste tube etc., but personally i only do that as a temporary measure

if there's no bulging i'd ride it
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Bike-Rich
    Cheers guys, got a bit delayed so still not gone.
    It is the front tyre and i think you are right, not worth the risk. I do have a spare tyre here (normal not gator) i think i'll make the effort and swap over.

Are gatorskins still the recommended replacement though guys for when i reorder?
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    spend the extra and get some gp4000 s amazign tyres. For what they cost I would never risk a dodgy tyre the results could far outweigh the price of the tyre if you have a big off
  • Bike-Rich
    I may do that, is it ok if I just replace the dodgy try first though or for best results should it be same kind on both?
    Also, could I go slightly smaller on front, at the moment it is 23mm.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,878
    different front/rear is not a problem

stick with 23mm, if you go narower it'll just reduce grip, make it less comfy, and (with like for like rubber) increase rolling resistance

when the back is worn, consider going to 25mm for it, more grip, comfier, last longer, etc.

the gp4000s are good tyres, they are lighter than the gatorskins and the compound is extremely grippy, downside is they have less puncture protection, so if you'll be riding wet roads where flints/glass/etc. are common then the gators might be better
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Bike-Rich
    Thank you,
  • May I reccomend Vittoria zaffiro's as a replacement. The wired 23mm versions are about 8 quid each, (fleabay, planet X) and are bombproof. The also inflate to 145psi and are very hard waering and bombproof.

Better and cheaper than continental, just my opinion.
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    Once you have it off the rim it's also worth pinching the tyre around that cut.

If you can see white that's the cloth of the tyre carcass and if the threads are cut then the tyre may be a write off. if it's just a cut in the rubber the tyre is fine (I've certainly had Conti's with worse cuts that were just surface damage).