New Sirrus Elite '12 £500 or Boardman Team '12 used £575?

Bodmass
Bodmass Posts: 3
edited October 2012 in Road buying advice
Which do I want?

A new Specialized Sirrus Elite 2012 from Evans for £500 or a Boardman Hybrid Team 2012 5mths old (used for 3) for £575?

My usage is mostly commuting 5 miles each way on tarmac cycle paths that are v. poorly maintained (subsidence/potholes etc), real boneshaker stuff, plus a little bridleway/gravel/grass usage. I'm very rarely on the actual road. I am considering that with a decent bike I may start trying to do some road & distance though.

For £500 the Spesh looks the best new deal I can get locally, chosen particularly due to the forks. I'm due to have a fitting & test ride in a few days. Naturally the warranty & service from Evans I see as a major plus.

Checking out 2nd hand options I've come across a Boardman Team Hybrid in my size, 5 months old with receipts, 3 months of claimed usage on London commutes for £575 (very top end of my budget). Apparantly still in excellent condition

Now it's clear the Boardman is a nicer bit of kit but as it's a couple of hours away I don't want to make the trip unless it's likely to be worth my while. Is the Boardman a sufficiently better bike that (if it feels comfortable) it would still be a better value buy second hand than the new Spesh?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• The Sirrus is perfectly fine for your commute, but if you want to do road riding, then it is completely inadequate... so, only you know the answer...
    left the forum March 2023
  • .....if you want to do road riding, then it is completely inadequate...

Strong words :shock:

I should point out that my vision of road use would be no more than 30 miles a few times a year riding with the intro level group with a local cycle club (once I've built up some stamina).

Too damn old to be starting serious road use :cry: