Problem After Changing Cassette

terrierwelsh
terrierwelsh Posts: 8
edited October 2012 in Workshop
Hi

I have changed my tiagra cassettes and chain due to wear. I have upgraded to Ultergra (both were / are 9 speed).

The cassette works fine when i am in the top chainring, however when i change down to the small chainring and apply torque to the peddels the cassette slips. I was lead to believe that the rear free hub is compatible between tiagra and ultegra or is the problem that i need a new freehub?.

Comments

• What chain you using? If it's a Wippermann, the chain link can be put upside down. The classic tell tale sign of this is chain slip in the small chainring.
    There's warp speed - then there's Storck Speed
  • The chain is a shimano HG93 9 speed, ultegra.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    i see you did change the chain aswell. Did you use a pin or some quick links?

got a stiff link?

is it the chain jumping or is it the hub?

the cassette is compatible.

finally check your stop screw for chain positioning on the smallest cog.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I used a pin which may lead to a stiff link

The chain is not jumping

I cannot transfer any power in to the peddles without the cassette spinning which make a horrible grinding noise however when in top chain ring it works fine
  • nicklouse
    free body is dead then.

what is the hub?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Shimano type

Exact model not sure, it came with wheels which are RS10 type

Have ordered ultegra free hub so hopefully will be ok

Just makes me wonder why this problem only occurs on small ring and not large ring
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    It is a bit odd; possibly you're putting a lot more torque through the freehub when you're in the small ring.

Your Ultegra freehub should fit your RS10 just fine.
  • Cheers
  • The_JML
    The_JML Posts: 132
    unscrew your botttom screw a few turns, sounds like your mech arm is stopping just before your small ring and the next one.
  • It really sounds to me that you have not located the small cog onto the splines properly, it doesnt do this on the larger cogs because they are joined together and you must have them in the right place but the smaller ones are free so could be mis-aligned. You need to remove the lockring and ensure they are seated properly then re-fit the lock ring with the right amount of torque about 35-45nm aka a lot.

If you think you haven't done this then just a quick check by trying to wiggle the cogs, if they move it is not seated correctly or not tight enough or you have forgotten to put a spacer in. They should not wiggle sideways.

You may have chewed up the end of the freehub by spinning it but you might be lucky and it will fit back on.
  • nicklouse
    Shimano type

Exact model not sure, it came with wheels which are RS10 type

Have ordered ultegra free hub so hopefully will be ok

Just makes me wonder why this problem only occurs on small ring and not large ring

why?

the bodies are basically the same and there is no guaranty that it will fit the hub. and dimensionally on the splines and length they are identical. sounds like poor fitting or a faulty body that is only showing up with force on the outside edge. I thing you will have issues with the RH cone and washers.

can you see any damage?
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    When u refer to small and large chain rings, do you mean on chainset or on cassette?

On a 9 speed, you DO NOT need the 1mm spacer that goes on the f/h b4 the cassette, this might be stopping the smallest cog from engaging the f/h splines.

Assuming the cassette is on the f/h properly, then it could be that the f/h is loose, (it bolts to the hub using a 10mm allen key, access is by stripping out the axle and bearings)

the rs10 f/h is completely different part no to a ultegra one, that isnt to say it wont fit but be careful here.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I had this problem, turned out I had put one of the sprockets on the wrong way round, so the ramps were making the chain lift up. Is it possible the sprocket is on the wrong way?
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    You can't put Shimano sprockets on the wrong way round (unless you're very determined and use a Dremel on them)
  • there is no problem when I use the large ring on the chainset. It is only when I use the small ring on the chainset.

There is no movement with the cassette

There is a few marks on the free hub but not significant damage
  • C_P_
    C_P_ Posts: 31
    small chainring is worn buy a new one