Wheel upgrade from Mavic Open Pro.

bluedog99
bluedog99 Posts: 183
edited September 2012 in Road buying advice
Hi, what would be be decent upgrade from Mavic open pro`s., without spending to much cash? They would not be used for racing but just need to be lighter esoecially for the hills. Cheers for any info.
Rourke 853 Team Pro Custom.

Comments

• These are already fairly light... I think the cheaper way to go is to rebuild them with lighter spokes if they have straight gauge ones... they can easily "lose" 200 grams by using light DB spokes (laser front race read or revolution front competition rear) and it's all rotating mass, so it does matter.
    This "upgrade" would cost in the region of 70-80 pounds

Otherwise, usual suspects: Ksyrium Elite and the likes, but you lose the serviceability and the smoothness
    left the forum March 2023
  • These are already fairly light... I think the cheaper way to go is to rebuild them with lighter spokes if they have straight gauge ones... they can easily "lose" 200 grams by using light DB spokes (laser front race read or revolution front competition rear) and it's all rotating mass, so it does matter.
    This "upgrade" would cost in the region of 70-80 pounds

Otherwise, usual suspects: Ksyrium Elite and the likes, but you lose the serviceability and the smoothness
    Thanks for the reply, some really useful information to think about. Cheers.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Probably worth clarifying that Mavic Open Pro are not wheels, they are rims...and very, very good classic rims at that. If you are looking to 'upgrade' the wheel then that would mainly depend on the hubs you have and the build. Personally, I don't think you can get much better for us normal folks than something like DuraAce hubs, Open Pros (or IRC Cadence/Ambrossio) and some nice DT spokes. If you are on a budget then the Ultegra hubs are very good too (used for RS80s).

I have some nice wheels built up with Campag Record hubs, DT Competition and Ambrossio Exellight rims. They are great for all purposes such as hard club riding, sportives or just spinning out in the countryside...but the value is in the sum of all of the parts and the build quality of the wheel. Oh, and I have some RS80's, they are good too (cannot have a wheel thread without someone doing an RS80 plug!).
  • Bobbinogs wrote:
    Probably worth clarifying that Mavic Open Pro are not wheels, they are rims...and very, very good classic rims at that. If you are looking to 'upgrade' the wheel then that would mainly depend on the hubs you have and the build. Personally, I don't think you can get much better for us normal folks than something like DuraAce hubs, Open Pros (or IRC Cadence/Ambrossio) and some nice DT spokes. If you are on a budget then the Ultegra hubs are very good too (used for RS80s).

I have some nice wheels built up with Campag Record hubs, DT Competition and Ambrossio Exellight rims. They are great for all purposes such as hard club riding, sportives or just spinning out in the countryside...but the value is in the sum of all of the parts and the build quality of the wheel. Oh, and I have some RS80's, they are good too (cannot have a wheel thread without someone doing an RS80 plug!).
    Thanks for the reply, yep, i`m definatley showing my lack of tech. knowledge. As i have had the same boke since 1996, a Dawes Galaxy. i afraid the improvements and choice have passed me bye a bit. I am going to have a frame built buy Brian Rourkes and am wondering what i can have on the bike above the entry level spec. This info is greatly appreciated. Cheers once again.
  • bluedog99 wrote:
    Bobbinogs wrote:

Thanks for the reply, yep, i`m definatley showing my lack of tech. knowledge. As i have had the same boke since 1996, a Dawes Galaxy. i afraid the improvements and choice have passed me bye a bit. I am going to have a frame built buy Brian Rourkes and am wondering what i can have on the bike above the entry level spec. This info is greatly appreciated. Cheers once again.

Ask them for advice, but open pro on dura ace or record hubs with decent double butted spokes is one of the best set of wheels money can buy
    left the forum March 2023
  • Thanks again, i will be asking them loads as i am going to compile a list. Thanks to you guys i now realise that i can have the rims i want made up as i want them. I thought the Open Pro`s were a stock wheel, looks like i will be post a few more questions on the forum before i go for my fitting. Cheers once again.