Carbon Bike - Cube vs Boardman vs A.nother ?

jmillen
jmillen Posts: 627
edited September 2012 in Road buying advice
Evening folks :)

I'm hoping I can call on your collective wisdom to help me out.

I'm looking to upgrade my Trek Alpha 1.2 for a carbon road bike, preferably a triple (or the ability to tweak the ratio to give me something a bit more than a compact) to help me up the devon hills I find myself surrounded by. I'm aware that these questions get asked countless times, and I have done a search and found some good leads, but would like to put forwards a view options for your comments. The bike will be used for longer weekend rides/sportives etc, so I'd like a more relaxed, comfortable geometry.

1. Cube Agree GTC Pro Triple
http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/cube-agree-gtc-item179483.html

Love the look of this bike
Ultegra/105
Seems good value for money
Are the wheels a concern?

2. Boardman Team Carbon (or Pro carbon?)

Again, seems good value for money.
105/FSA
BB30

3. Cannondale Supersix 105

Seems a very popular recommendation around this price range.
BB30
Mavic Aksium
How is the overall weight of this bike?

4. Trek / Specialized / Giant

My closest LBS' are a Trek dealer, and a Specialized Concept store. Obviously they're going to be recommending their own brands, but can either of these match the value for money of the above, or are you simply paying for the name?

I'd welcome any comments on any of the above, and of course any recommendations for other bikes I should be checking out. I presume it comes to a point where the bikes in the shortlist become very similar, and it just comes down to personal preference. I'd just like to get the shortlist as close as possible so I can then go and try them out (they're all available relatively local) and base my final decision on fit/personal preference of colour etc.

Thanks very much in advance for any replies :D
2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon
2014 De Rosa R848
Carrera TDF Ltd Commuter

Comments

• While I am not 100% on the cube, boardmans are great bikes at a fentastic price. However, as they are from halford, you need to check all bolts and normaly reindex the gears straight away.

I would recommened the LBS as you can try bikes for fit and sizing, you can also probably get a decent deal and spec's/treks are good bikes
    Mostly though it is for the after sales service. They will normally offer a free first service after the cables have stretched etc and the set up will be properly done. Also, if you feel that you may need changes after a while they will be far more helpful, for example, if you find your stem is too short after a few weeks, they will probably change stems for a low cost, possibly nothing if you get to know them really well.

Also, at a LBS you can test ride and find which geometry you like best and change things like stem/tyres and bars before purchase.
    At the price of that cube, you could get a 105 equipped roubaix or tarmac with reasonable wheels or a similar trek.

Getting to know your LBS is invaluable and can often result in cost savings, freebies and skipping waiting lists for urgent repairs such as before a holiday.
  • jmillen
    Thanks sharky :)

I have a good relationship with the two LBS' having a bought a bike from each in the past, and also being a regular visitor to have a browse at bits and pieces so should be able to get a bit of a discount.

I can also get 10% off a Halfords as a BC member, so that brings the price of the Boardmans down further still.

I've seen a couple of Colnago's but as nice as they are...it seems to be alot of money for not a huge amount of spec compared to others...?
    2014 De Rosa R848
    Carrera TDF Ltd Commuter
  • rando
    rando Posts: 285
    I was put off the idea of a bike with a BB30 due to problems various people seem to be having with them.
    viewtopic.php?f=40020&t=12790818&start=80

Not sure if the Cannondales are effected though with this BB30 issue.
    BUT I have no experience with BB30 at all so ignore if you wish.
  • Ive got a Cube Agree GTC Race (one up from what you have listed) and its superb. You always get better components for your money with Cubes, they look great too. Lovely frame, rides real nice.

I like the Boardmans but ive read a few problems with their BB's, i dont know how wide spread that problem is though, so cant comment completely.

Most people on here will tell you to go for the Cannondale though, they are mainly Cannondale fans from my experience that cant see any other make beyond that, even though ive heard from various LBS sources they are ok but nothing special, often underspecced compared to bikes like the Cubes.

To prove my point, just watch how many will defend Cannondale now ive slagged them off a bit.. :lol:
  • jmillen
    Well after several more hours of reading forums/reviews/opinions I'm not really any closer to deciding :lol: If anything...more bewildered than I was when I started looking :roll: As you all know, each brand has it's own positives and negatives and I'm struggling to decide what is a priority.

Would any one else like to give their opinions? Lets say, £1500 ish budget, and I'm after the following:

- Not overly bothered with SRAM vs Shimano but need a triple (or at least be able to change it to a triple)
    - 54/56cm Carbon frame and fork
    - Preferably something which can be test ridden (which is slightly putting me off Planet X / ribble)
    - Decent wheelset
    - Good value for money

If I can get it narrowed down to about 3-4 bikes, I can then go and test ride to see what suits.

Many thanks again in advance :)
    2014 De Rosa R848
    Carrera TDF Ltd Commuter