Shimano 105 5700 shifters and Tiagra front derailleur?

jamie_s
jamie_s Posts: 3
edited September 2012 in Workshop
Hi all,

I have a 2012 specialized secteur elite with 10 speed shimano tiagra. I bought some 105 5700 shifters as I prefer the look with the cable under the bar tape. I fitted them tonight and the rear shifter works fine, however the shifter for the front derailleur is very stiff. It feels as if I am using too much force to change onto the big ring. I cant work out what the problem may be, the only thing I can think of is that I may need a 105 front derailleur too? Could they have different spring rates etc to tiagra?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• imsimon
    imsimon Posts: 181
    I cant tell you the answer but I can tell you its not the mech as Ive got 105 shifters with sora front mech and chainset. I did though have problems initialy with the shifting on the front but tightening the cable right up and adjusting the limit screws seemed to do the trick
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    It should work fine, is the cable free and running smooth?
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    A lot of 105 shifting problems are incorrect setup - make sure you're not using the trim position to get into the big ring. I'm convinced that's where a lot of the broken shifters (in the previous generation) came from.

Properly setup it shouldn't take much effort to get into the big ring - try loosening the tension and see if it helps.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.