Can I change the head stock and stem?

dukepaulus
dukepaulus Posts: 18
edited September 2012 in Workshop
I've just got hold of a Holdsworth road bike in mint condition. Not decided to have it yet but it's pretty likely because it will be a quantum leap forward compared to my current steed.
As always I've already started to look at possible upgrades even before money has exchanged hands.
My main question is this.....
The bike is fitted with a traditional headstock and stem all in one. If I wanted to, could I convert to a more modern set up with a removable stem?
I expect that the front fork would need to be replaced for one with a stem that goes through the head tube but is this a feasable project?

Comments

• k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    The easiest way is just to use an ahead converter - http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/protec-ahead ... -prod3063/

They're not very light and not very elegant but it means you can use a modern stem and it's a lot easier than changing the fork.

You can also get quill stems with removeable faceplate - I had a nice Salsa one on a bike a few years ago.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • Is headstock a motorcycle term. For bicycles it is called the headset. Everyone will know what you mean then.

The holdwroth isa a steel frame. The a headset convertor is one way but it is heavy and if you are not precious about the forks there are plenty of 1" threadless forks in steel, aluminium or carbon. Carbon is probably best though. I have had some steel forks made recently as good steel ones that are not too heavy are not so common now.

Carbon forks and a lugged steel frame can look very good. Then fit a stem of your choice but most stems are made for a 1 1/8th steerer. There is still a fiar bit oif choice though for 1" steer stems. Thomson to a chim convertor to allow you to clamp a 1 1/8" stem to a 1" steerer. I am sure there are other that do the same thing. Bars are mosty 31.8mm clamp dioamter now. your holdworth bars will have a 25.4mm or 26.0mm clamp diamter probably.

Personally I see nothing wrong with a quill stems and 26.0mm clamp area bars. The modern way is lighter but it is not nessecarily an upgrade. Unless there is something wrong with the forks bars or stem then leave as is. !" threaded headsets are still about in the right shops.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Thanks for the advice folks. You are correct, headstock is a motorcycle term and is a giveaway that I enjoy motorised two wheeled action too.
    My intention about wanting to "Upgrade" was to give me an option to change the distance to the bars but now I have read your replies I'm more convinced that I should leave well alone and just enjoy the bike for what it is, certainly for the near future at least, unless I find that I'm getting shoulder pain over time.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I recently converted to Ahead style using the convertor linked to above, only so I can fit a modern compact type handle bar that was more comfortable and longer stem. I found the "old style" bars pretty uncomfortable and couldn't get a good angle between bars and brifters. Older style bars also have more reach, I had to fit a 2cm longer stem to compensate.

7977475742_5d2fdbe06a_b_d.jpg
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava