integrated frame and new forks advice

phenian
phenian Posts: 146
edited September 2012 in Workshop
generally very confused around forks, headsets, star nuts etc.

I have an old Cannondale R2000 frame that used ot have an integrated headset. I have long since sold everything but the frame. I am now rebuilding it and a bit unsure exactly what I need.

I know I need 1 1/8th carbon forks and want an alloy steerer (lots around though I want plain black, which is a bit harder to find)
I will need an integrated headset (I actually have the old bearings still)
I will need some spacers
I have a stem

Do I need anything else ? The only thing I think I might need from research is a star nut.
Is there anything I need to look for or avoid? I have seen integrated forks but whilst I am not sure what these are, I am pretty sure I dont need them (is that right)?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I have a set of cannondale slice carbon forks in black weave never fitted if you're interested
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • phenian wrote:
    generally very confused around forks, headsets, star nuts etc.

I have an old Cannondale R2000 frame that used ot have an integrated headset. I have long since sold everything but the frame. I am now rebuilding it and a bit unsure exactly what I need.

I know I need 1 1/8th carbon forks and want an alloy steerer (lots around though I want plain black, which is a bit harder to find)
    I will need an integrated headset (I actually have the old bearings still)
    I will need some spacers
    I have a stem

Do I need anything else ? The only thing I think I might need from research is a star nut.
    Is there anything I need to look for or avoid? I have seen integrated forks but whilst I am not sure what these are, I am pretty sure I dont need them (is that right)?

Thanks in advance
    You will need a new h/set..depending which size e.g 36x45 or 45x45...measure the exsiting bearings to fine out...the star/nut will be compleat with the new h/set...as for spacers they are in 5-10-15-25mm sizes its up to you how many you need...I always cut the steerer tube down as requied if you do this make sure you cut it {aprox} 3mm below the top of the stem or last spacer as this will clamp the h/set..before tighting the stem...