Front & Rear mech advice please

neilduck
neilduck Posts: 17
edited November 2012 in MTB beginners
Silly question probably but anyway

I have an old bike with 3x7 drivetrain & was considering picking up from the for sale forum front & rear mechs

Can you fit any of the higher specced components & adjust the settings so they will work ok?
ie if i picked up xt rear mech designed for 9 speed

I believe it doesn't matter so much with the front mech as long as you choose the correct fitment?

Thank you in advance

Neil

Just getting back into MTB after 5 years away

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It will work fine.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    7/8/9 speed rear mechs will all work, front mech wise you're better off getting a 7/8 speed as the 9 speed chain is narrower and your more likely to end up with rubbing issues (nothing is certain).

If you have a cassette not freewheel you can of course convert to 8/9 speed if its a wide freehub, but if it's a 7 you can run 8 of 9 speed by removing the biggest sprocket from a lower end cassette, that's what my daughter has on her commuter, but you'll need a 9 speed shifter and chain!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Hi Both,

Thanks for your replies I have decided to stick with the mechs already fitted to my bike as they are working :)