Esafosfina...a moral/philosophical question for you

Richmond Racer
Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
edited September 2012 in Pro race
As a former pro who raced at an elite level, would be very interested in your thoughts on the following issue...

Some cycling fans seem very frustrated at the general silence from the pro ranks re Armstrong/Hamilton's revelations/ the many undeniable iniquities of the UCI. To my reckoning, just David Millar, Tony Martin, Danny Pate and Gustav Larsson have come out in support of bans and proper sanctions/supporting USADA/registering concern with the UCI.

What's your view? Do you think that the riders owe it to speak out? Do you think they have instructions from their teams/sponsors not to poke their heads above the parapet? Or do you think that in general they all make personal decisions to say nowt, or in the case of a handful, to make some comments in support of Armstrong?

Comments

• RR... good questions and points made. I do believe that sponsors/DSs etc dictate to their riders that no, or limited comment should be made. It's a kind of insurance policy against bad press I guess. I know as far back as 89-91 riders on ADR and Tulip were told that under no circumstances were we to address the media about anything drug/doping related. It's a minefield of legalities and certain litigation if a rider speaks his or her mind without proof, and to be honest few riders will actually admit to others that they are using and abusing. 'Omerta'? Yep. Without doubt. I for one feel that individuals should have the voice to speak out against PED abuse... it's never going to rid the sport entirely but will raise awareness and hopefully discourage younger riders from 'dabbling'. I've said on a couple of other forums that I'd like to see some kind of 'amnesty'; someone (JV?) has likened it to a South African style 'Truth and Reconciliation' investigation... it could work, it could, conversely, open a Pandora's Box! Morally, ethically, and to an extent philosophically I feel (and I state that this is my opinion only) that the more openness from riders, DSs, Doctors etc the better. I feel as frustrated as the next cycling fan when I am met with a wall of silence or subterfuge... I simply want the truth; be that a savage and ugly truth, so be it.
  • You are a former pro? Impressive. For what team?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • I should also say that I would never judge anyone else's decision to dope... It would piss me off if I found out that a rival had beaten me as a direct consequence of taking PEDs (I know this has happened at world championship level, unfortunately) but they have to live with the tarnished victory.
  • Appreciate your views, Esafosfina
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,233
    You are a former pro? Impressive. For what team?

Not only former pro, but a World Champion, to boot...
    Except for the immensely lazy/internet inept, we've already had the (near) unmasking of our illustrious poster...
    viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12876879&start=20
  • You are a former pro? Impressive. For what team?

1989 - ADR
    1990 - ADR/Tulip/IOC
    1991 - Tulip Computers

1998 - Brite
    1999 - Men's Health
    2000 - WCPP National Squad

Had a few years on the pies and ale between 92 and 98! :D
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,233
    esafosfina wrote:
    You are a former pro? Impressive. For what team?

1989 - ADR
    1990 - ADR/Tulip/IOC
    1991 - Tulip Computers

1998 - Brite
    1999 - Men's Health
    2000 - WCPP National Squad

Had a few years on the pies and ale between 92 and 98! :D

A chap's got to keep his strength up.

It was kind of like a career lunch-break.
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    I still don't understand how you did what you did in 1989 esafosfina! It doesn't even look like it hurt!