Panniers or Ruck Sack?

baffled_pete
baffled_pete Posts: 13
edited September 2012 in Road buying advice
For a two/three day journey is a bike ruck sack preferable to panniers?

Plus I have seen from Union 34 a ruck sack seat post bag. Is this recommended for non commute cycling?

As ever any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Not counting the small mountain bike type back packs I would never cycle any distance with a bag on my back. Let the bike do the carrying. To test it out get a cheap rucksac from the market (if you haven't already got one) stuff it with clothes, towels etc and go for a long ride. See how you get on and go from there.
    I'm not getting old... I'm just using lower gears......
    Sirius - Steel Reynolds 631
    Cove Handjob - Steel Columbus Nivacrom
    Trek Madone - Carbon
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    This question comes up a lot - I spent two years at uni and my first year at work with a huge crumpler messenger back - and then I saw the light!

Had panniers since then, and haven't looked back. I've had them packed to the gunnels, and to be honest, when fully loaded, yeah, you can't do full on out of the saddle sprinting, but apart from that, you barely notice them.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • Just had spinal surgery and physio tells me I have onset of issues in my shoulders. Lumbar compression was exactly where my pack sits at the bottom, shoulders is due to impingement (being pulled back). After 8 years of 6 days a week with 8-12 kg pack, think I'll go panniers.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    +1 panniers, they sit lower so cornering isn't effected and you can have two of them so you can carry larger amounts than a rucksack.
  • Rucksack always results in discomfort after a long ride and makes for a sweaty back. panniers look worse but function better.
  • jay197
    jay197 Posts: 196
    I was also wondering about that too, but the baffled one beat me to it hehe.
  • I rode coast to coast on my road bike(191 miles,a day and a half of cycling then half day train ride home).I used a Deuter Speedlite 20 rucksack.Apart from a chunky D-lock there wasn't much else to make it heavy and I found it perfectly comfortable.
    I liked the convenience/security of locking the bike and taking everything else with me whenever I stopped.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    I liked the convenience/security of locking the bike and taking everything else with me whenever I stopped.

The Ortleibs I have come off with one pull up - they're no harder to take with you when you stop, and they've got shoulder straps. You can even by rucksack straps for them if you really like.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • Plus I have seen from Union 34 a ruck sack seat post bag. Is this recommended for non commute cycling?
    I've been looking at that and wondering if anyone had any experiences with it or similar things.
  • TommyEss wrote:

The Ortleibs I have come off with one pull up - they're no harder to take with you when you stop, and they've got shoulder straps. You can even by rucksack straps for them if you really like.

+1... the Ortlieb are the dogs... expensive, but incredibly sturdy, really waterproof as opposed to alleged, no stupid zips that fail and the release mechanism is very well designed... in one word: German
    left the forum March 2023
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Definitely panniers
  • yakk
    yakk Posts: 589
    Tried both. Hillwalking rucksack, then panniers (ortlieb) - the latter, brilliant at getting stuff to work dry, no sweaty back. I never thought I'd go back to a rucksack, but recently gone for a bike-specific rucksack (Vaude) and love it. I just really enjoy that lack of weight at the back of the bike again, it's more like riding than grinding to work. Yes the back gets a little sweaty , but not too bad with an aerated mesh back and it's not enough for me to go back to panniers. I think the quality of the rucksack would make a difference. No rack, less weight, nicer to ride. I don't have to carry much - if I had more, I'd stick to panniers.
    Yak
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Steve0843 wrote:
    Just had spinal surgery and physio tells me I have onset of issues in my shoulders. Lumbar compression was exactly where my pack sits at the bottom, shoulders is due to impingement (being pulled back). After 8 years of 6 days a week with 8-12 kg pack, think I'll go panniers.

I moved to panniers - relieved my impinged shoulder (car accident) but had the shoulder decompressed eventually. Still don't ride with ruckascks unless it's when I use my MTB and I keep the weight right down.