What turbo trainer tyre

p7rider
p7rider Posts: 370
edited September 2012 in Road buying advice
Winters on the way and im a fair weather rider so need a good trainer tyre what you recomend

Comments

• vittiria zaffiro trainer tyre- very quiet
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • I've never bought a trainer tyre to date.
    I normally emerge out of winter, look at my tyres and decide to get new ones. Then keep the old tyres and use them on the Turbo the following winter.
    Am I just a cheap skate, probably ?
    But is a dedicated trainer tyre a necessity ?
    There's warp speed - then there's Storck Speed
  • getprg
    getprg Posts: 245
    StorckSpeed said
    keep the old tyres and use them on the Turbo the following winter

I tried this and it works but the better the road tyre (aka softer compound eg prorace 3's and even gatorskins!) the faster they seemed to wear and shed rubber dust all over the floor (SWMBO not impressed!)

So I tried this:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/tyres-road-tri-track-folding-continental-ultra-sport-folding-tyre/conttyrf225

road tyre (on special offer in lemon) and it has worked a treat. Quiet and shows negligible wear after 100+ hours on the turbo - plus in anemergency can be used on the road too - but not great grip in the wet! Beginning to wonder if it will ever wear out.
  • My Turbo is in the roof of the garage so doesn't matter too much about mess etc. Can't say I've ever noticed mcuh mess anyway.
    But they're old tyres which I would otherwise chuck away so don't care if they wear quickly.
    I use those Conti Sport tyres on the Winter bike cause they are pretty puncture resistant and cheap so will probably have to change them next year.
    Here's to years of wear on the Turbo then :-)
  • getprg
    StockSpeed said
    I use those Conti Sport tyres on the Winter bike

That's good to know - do you get decent grip in the wet? Maybe mine had poor grip after using it on the turbo - where it probably got a nice polished finish!
  • They're not the lightest nor the quickest tyre as I'm sure you know. But I've never had any issues with grip in even the wettest of weather. I say my winter bike, but it's also my commuter, and we've had some pretty wet weather in the last few months. They're pretty hard wearing too as you mentioned. Top winter/commuting tyre for the money. Should add training tyre to that too!
  • getprg
    Cheers for the info - I will try them out for winter.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Another one here for using old tyres on the turbo. Mine's in the shed so no problems over dust and I just use whatever's available, 23/25/28mm whichever fits the bike. Haven't gone through to canvas as yet. I find using them at low pressures, 70-80psi gives good grip on the turbo and very little noise.
  • Can't believe I never thought to use them at lower pressure.
    I'll try that next time it's pi**ing down rain, see if it makes a difference.
    Probably this weekend.... :-)

"If you don't like the weather in Scotland, just wait a few minutes"