I would love a new frame but it'll be a work in progress

Comments

• http://imageshack.us/a/img402/6263/imagekvv.jpg

Hopefully these links goes to a imageshack photo of my new wheelset etc form superstar.

http://imageshack.us/photo/photo/18/imagexda.jpg/

Such a shame you had to spoil them with those vile tyres ;)
  • http://imageshack.us/a/img402/6263/imagekvv.jpg

Hopefully these links goes to a imageshack photo of my new wheelset etc form superstar.

http://imageshack.us/photo/photo/18/imagexda.jpg/

:D how very dare you!! Yeah they are a marmite tyre but I love them - both look and performance. Had Conti verts before which I'd go back to once I kill these off - or get the Pana's again lol.
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812

Your computer must have a virus and be redirecting you away from the real pics :roll: :roll:
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Update on how I'm finding my new Superstar wheelset!!

Well, just Awesome. The uplift in performance has been excellent and I'm well chuffed. Along with a good service, new cables and a new X7 rear mech, I'm loving it and can't wait to get it all on to a C456 (come on On One drop the price again please).

After a rubbish night ride on Thursday (poor route choice), I managed to get out on the Woburn trails for a few hours early this morning with my brother. Trails held up well considering the poor weather and we had great fun :^)

Here's a pic

http://imageshack.us/a/img534/3086/imagewjr.jpg

• The Rookie
    That shed needs some work, not sure I'd have leant my bike on it!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • That shed needs some work, not sure I'd have leant my bike on it!

Yeah it's not a well maintained property but it is in a prime Woburn location - It's the start and end point for 3 trails :)

• The Rookie
    Clearly the shed could use some upgrades, some benches, sides that look like a fart won't blow them over, a decent roof and a bike rack.....most importantly what colour anodizing for the fittings.....
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    The thick end of a grand to end up with all your old components on an on-one frame and a new fork?

Crazy.
  • The thick end of a grand to end up with all your old components on an on-one frame and a new fork?

Crazy.

I don't understand what you're saying here - thick end of a grand? A large percentage of my current bike ports over -leaving a c456 frame, front mech, headset, seatpost and clamp which won't. I will get some Rockshox Revs to compliment the frame but its not needed straight away. Everything I've done, upgraded, changed, since I got back on a bike has been to a budget. This will continue with the On One Carbon 456 frame. However, I could go buy the frame bundle from On One and still build a complete bike for £250 less than a grand. So, not sure what you mean, but I don't see it as "crazy", but a very cheap and easy option even at on ones current price point.

But if you'd like to expand on your point, I'm happy to listen.

Ta

• mrmonkfinger
    The opening post was talking about doing things on a budget.
    making do with building it using some of my less decent parts (wheelset and fork) and porting everything else over

but wait
    the wheelset arrived from superstar today - great speedy device and awesome Haribo!

and
    once I've factored in another £100 for a couple of bits I need and the build cost my LBS would charge I'm looking at nearly a grand and not the budget build I have vowed to undertake

nearly a grand, plus £150 for a wheelset.
    I could go buy the frame bundle from On One and still build a complete bike for £250 less than a grand

or is it £750?

This is not doing things on budget, that is all.
  • FYI - thus far, I've not purchased anything specifically for the C456 build. Several parts on my Kraken have been replaced for nearly new used or new in the sale, saving a significant amount in the process. As I said previously in response to just buying the frame bundle from on one, this does not fit in with what I want to achieve in terms of budget, so at the current price, £750, whilst good value, it's not a viable option. In terms of the £150 on a wheelset? By any standard this is good value and fits perfectly with my aims here. I desperately needed new hubs but the cost and rebuild was not viable on a wheelset of some 5years. I had a budget (based on a missed opportunity from Madison) and I stuck to it - and I'm well happy.

Everything I've bought and will buy, will be to my budget and represent good value to me. I will need 2-3 parts but i will source them cheap new or cheap used. I could source the frame 2nd hand but this is something I've ruled out for a number of good reasons. I would like new forks to go with the frame swap but they have to meet my criteria. They don't have to be new and I don't have to have them until after the frame swap (not ideal but I'll make do). In terms of building it up, I don't feel comfortable doing this, and it's not good value if I balls it up, so I'll have to get help here which will cost. I admit its not good value but a friend has now offered to supervise for the price of a few beers - so I'll be learning and saving - jobs a good'un.

I'll get this done - hopefully. At that time, please let me know if you think I've achieved a budget C456 build, and what you might have do e differently.

• mrmonkfinger
    FYI - thus far, I've not purchased anything specifically for the C456 build.

sorry, I missed that about the wheelset

what you might have do e differently.

be far more flexible on frame choice
    go second hand or new-old-stock
    consider buying a complete new bike & keeping the frame/forks & stripping the remaining parts and selling them
    or just sell the kraken complete, and buy a whole new bike
  • The Rookie
    My MTB is always work in progress (next mod' is definately, well maybe, going 1x9), so reframing for me would just be another 'upgrade' (admittedly with a few extra frame specific bits), bikes are nearly always worth more sold in bits rather than whole which is why when building some of the families bikes I buy a 'good used' donor and then usually make a profit on what I don't need, how my wifes bike with new frame, saddle, forks and headset cost just £75 (most stuff Deore/LX level) to build.
  • FYI - thus far, I've not purchased anything specifically for the C456 build.

sorry, I missed that about the wheelset

what you might have do e differently.

be far more flexible on frame choice
    go second hand or new-old-stock
    consider buying a complete new bike & keeping the frame/forks & stripping the remaining parts and selling them
    or just sell the kraken complete, and buy a whole new bike

These are good considerations. The thing is, in terms of being flexible on frame choice, I suppose I could be flexible on colour/undecaled carbon456 frame but not on the frame design (was thinking steel 456 but carbon does it for me).
    2nd hand is a consideration but buying a carbon bike in this way seems very risky. Old stock is far more likely and I am keeping my eye out.
    Buying a donor bike for frame and forks? I get it but I'm put off by outlay initially and then selling a load of parts + kraken frame & forks. Also, complete C456's fetch good money!

Sell the Kraken and buy a new complete C456? Again I think it's too expensive and less fulfilling.

• mrmonkfinger
    2nd hand is a consideration but buying a carbon bike in this way seems very risky.

Why so?

would you say the same about steel or alu?
  • No I'd feel more comfortable checking over a used steel or Alu frame - Carbon is out of my comfort zone. My friend has a custom Trek Carbon and has a good knowledge on this. His advice was to steer clear as the opportunity to get a bum deal is bigger with things like hard to see damage, weakening through impact, difficult to detect. I'm not saying I won't, but I'd rather not as I don't feel comfortable putting trust and faith in a 2nd hand seller.

• felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    How about a set of these for your C456?

Rock Shox Sektor RL Solo Air Forks 2011;
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=81585

Looks like a good price to me
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • How about a set of these for your C456?

Rock Shox Sektor RL Solo Air Forks 2011;
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=81585

Looks like a good price to me

Thanks for pointing these out - they are a bargain. Sadly I need QR only (and I want black lol) but I take it the Sektors should be a consideration along with the Revs, depending on price of course?

• FWIW if you have the SS switch hubs, it is ridiculously simple to change the axle to accommodate any fork you like. Worth noting because sometimes the real bargains are to be had with the non standard QR forks.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    FWIW if you have the SS switch hubs, it is ridiculously simple to change the axle to accommodate any fork you like. Worth noting because sometimes the real bargains are to be had with the non standard QR forks.

+1

Adapters cost a tenner each
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • FWIW if you have the SS switch hubs, it is ridiculously simple to change the axle to accommodate any fork you like. Worth noting because sometimes the real bargains are to be had with the non standard QR forks.

+1

Adapters cost a tenner each

I've got the Superleggera's and they're QR only sadly.

• A few parts arrived today - some I need due to size; seatpost, clamp etc., some are bargains purchased as Christmas presents (wont get hands on till Christmas Day), like stem and bars!!

It's started. Looking for bargain C456 frame and new forks. Decided 2nd hand frame should be a consideration.

Paul

• I would put a wnated ad on the singletrackworld forum.There are lots of C456 owner on there.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • I would put a wnated ad on the singletrackworld forum.There are lots of C456 owner on there.
    +1
  • booyaka
    booyaka Posts: 263
    What size of C456 are you looking for? I'm likely to be upgrading my c456 frame (large 20") shortly to a FS so frame will be up for sale.
    +1

Good shout - will have a go with singletrack.

• booyaka wrote:
    What size of C456 are you looking for? I'm likely to be upgrading my c456 frame (large 20") shortly to a FS so frame will be up for sale.

Thanks Booyaka - but I'm the wrong side of 6ft so it's 18" frame for me.

Why have you decided to change? What you got in mind for your full-Suss?

• booyaka
    booyaka Posts: 263
    No particular reason to change - C456 is a great frame but fancy giving some enduro's a go this year, and whilst the c456 is a great bike, I would happily keep it, it's a one bike rule in my house from the missus!!

It's a great frame at a steal of a price even new - you won't go wrong with it!
  • booyaka wrote:
    No particular reason to change - C456 is a great frame but fancy giving some enduro's a go this year, and whilst the c456 is a great bike, I would happily keep it, it's a one bike rule in my house from the missus!!

It's a great frame at a steal of a price even new - you won't go wrong with it!

My missus has the same rule. She also has the; how much did that cost, why do you need that, what's wrong with what you got, why do you keep falling off, phrase book!!

Yeah I'm desperate for one. At £499 there a bargain but the fact they always drop the price means I'm having to patiently wait for the next on one sale.
    Good luck with the enduro.

• Ok so it's finally done. Had a few teething problems along the way but nothing major. Thanks to Alex, Richard, James and Stuart at Roy Pinks Cycles of Newport Pagnell for all their help - great as always. There is/will be a full build thread linked in the 456 owners thread if you're interested.
    full2s.jpgfull4i.jpg

Paul

PS - This is quite close to my budget but went over by paying for the unexpected (bearings in 4month old hubs etc). I could have done this frame swop for under £500 all in but wanted the little extras. If it was for a winter hack/2nd bike, I would have scrimped. Either way, I love it.

Cheers