I would love a new frame but it'll be a work in progress

Comments

• jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    If you must buy a new wheelset then I wouldn't say any of the options where flimsy at all. So unless you're a particularly heavy rider or plan to do large jumps and drops I'd go for the lighter set.

But I'd also take the beginner's advice, re-use your current wheels and go for a significant improvement some time later on.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If your going to buy new, then Superleggera's for sure on a carbon 456, silly to have relatively heavy wheels on that!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • £15o is max. I've budgeted £150 and also it's easier to get past procurement (I mean the fiancé) ;7)
    Lighter is great and fits in with the c456 build, and they sound robust enough (but I don't do any big drops or silly stuff :D)
    So the Superleggera's it is - unless anyone can suggest similar quality from another seller?
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • Ok I may be being a complete idiot but there seemed to be no fitment options on the Superleggera's? So are these going to fit my needs - 9mm qr / 10mm qr 6 bolt?

Going for gold hubs. Black everything else with C456 build in mind :D

• Sorry to be a pain but could anyone confirm the Superleggera's on offer at superstar are 9mm qr. 10mm qr and fit 6 bolt?

I had an email back from superstar but I think they were going home as it was just blurb about, well, crap really.

Please help as I need to get them ordered :D

Many thanks

• The Rookie
    "NOTE: This wheelset is QR only and not convertable to other systems."!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes stnd 6 bolt disc fitment.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks the Beginner. Maybe I should change username to "The complete novice" :)
    I am a check, check double check and then check again kind of person. I know it's not big money for wheelset but having to send them back will raise the suspicions of the missus :D
    I'll get them ordered today then. Can't wait.

Hopefully the black on gold hubs will be a nice combo when matched to the On One C456!

Thanks
    Paul

• The Rookie
    They'll look great.... £150 is a lot for a wheelset to me, the most I've paid is £90......
  • Ordered - black all round with Gold hubs! Can't wait for their arrival :^)

Running schrader tubes currently so they might not fit if drilled for prestas?
    Is putting rotors and cassette on this new set a bit much for a newbie?

• Ordered - black all round with Gold hubs! Can't wait for their arrival :^)

Running schrader tubes currently so they might not fit if drilled for prestas?
    Is putting rotors and cassette on this new set a bit much for a newbie?

Do not drill the rims! Just get new tubes! Cheap as chips for a pack of 5.

You will need a specific star alen key for the rotors and a specific cassette removal tool and chainwhip too. Incredibly simple jobs. Id advise buying a little tool set rather than LBS because the tools will pay for themselves before you know it.
  • Hey Defo the above wheel set for cheapness and fairly good quality, although the lightweight option is a serious option too.
    I am going ot have this prob with my P7 am deciding to go for a new frame option and i was looking at a carbon 456 as they seem to be a lovely frame although was looking at the maxlight frames could get a good quality light alloy one with a carbon rear end for £450 but not sure what they are like for frames??

{Ps agree with Supersonic on the fork notion too wold be a wise move
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The carbon/alloy frames have fallen out of fashion, as are heavier than need to be really and don't always provide any benefits. A nice thin alloy or carbon tube for a stay, rather than a re enforced and bonded hybrid tube, usually works better!
  • Yes I'll have to weigh up long term gain for short term cost when it comes to buying tools job specific tools. Also my friendly LBS often does supervised work which he doesn't really charge for (this is a mate who started the local ride club) - I guess if he shows us how to do certain things, the less time he spends doing trail side repairs on our bikes :D

Yes the plan is to get a more complimentary set of forks after the frame swap to the c456. But it's going to have to be a gradual build - well, fairly gradual.

I looked at a few different frames which I'm sure are great but were outside my budget. 456 and carbon 456 are no-brainers for me.

• So the wheelset arrived from superstar today - great speedy device and awesome Haribo!
    I'll post some pics when I can.

I do have a problem though - I take it I need to buy the skewers?
    I Didn't see any in the box and my old ones are a bit naff and beaten/cheap looking. Stupid of me maybe but it didn't dawn on me they wouldn't be included? I guess this gives me a chance to specify colour at least!

Live n learn I suppose :^)

• jairaj
    Some wheel sets come with skewers some don't, you need to check before hand.

If you're looking to get new skewers I can highly recommend any of the Shimano ones. The closed cam design are by far the best skewers I've used.
  • Thanks Jairaj. I'll give superstar a call as I'm away from home a couple of days and won't be able to check whether there's any hidden in the bottom of the box.

I take it QR skewers are pretty much standard in terms of fit and length? I understand that some might be better than others in terms of reliability and stability, and of course, value for money.

Thanks

• The Rookie
    MTB skewer's are different at the rear to Road, otherwise yes, standard.

Get Shimano Deore, I have an XT and it weighs the same as the Deore anyway (May be different year), Skewers are the only place I keep my Weight Weenie tendancies in check, I have lots of lighter external style but stick with Shimano.
  • Well, All arrived safely from superstar, and; along with my new SRAM X7 rear derailleur, new slime tubes and Panaracer xc fire pro's, is now at Roy Pink's Cycles of Newport Pagnell to be fitted. I know that having an LBS do this is not best use of money which could saved for the C456, but it's easier, less of my time (which I'm short of) and less costly to sort when I cock it up.

Will post a photo when all home!

Thanks...

• All done, all fitted. Will be bringing home tomorrow when I'll up-load some pics. But the difference these superstar Superleggera's have made is huge. :D

OH NO!! On One have upped the price of the carbon 456 back to its original £499 from £399!!!!! Having missed out on the recent £299 offer, i cant justify that outlay.

what is On One doing to me :^(

• jairaj
    Just wait a few more weeks and they'll prob have them back on sale. On One prices are like the stock market; all ways going up and down.
  • jairaj wrote:
    Just wait a few more weeks and they'll prob have them back on sale. On One prices are like the stock market; all ways going up and down.

Let's hope so. I'm gagging for this frame now and can't justify 500 notes at this time of year.

Cheers

Paul

• The Rookie
    They have to put it up now so they can 'reduce' it for the end of season sale.....
  • They have to put it up now so they can 'reduce' it for the end of season sale.....
    I like your thinking "the beginner". Card is waiting to be spanked as soon as the price drops :D.

In the mean time I guess I'll look out for some of the parts I will need which won't port over.

Oh and some forks - Revs or Sektors?

• I just got back from my normal "Lumens Loonies" Thursday night group ride and the new wheelset has definitely improved the bike. With the Panaracer xc fires, it feels so much lighter, responsive and flows better - let alone the cool free hub noise and quicker pick up. The new bottom bracket has helped immensely and the new x7 rear mech along with a gear overhaul and sonic clean from Roy Pinks cycles has made me even more itching for the C456. Don't get me wrong, my Kraken frame doesn't let me down but something lighter, cooler and with the ability to become a trail monster is a priority.

The only negative? We did the Woburn trails tonight looped with lots of bridleway and the rainy conditions meant my bike went from bloody gleaming to caked in pooh in minutes :( still, getting it dirty was FUN!!

Cheers

Paul.

• felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    new slime tubes
    it feels so much lighter

It would feel even lighter with some normal tubes in...those things weigh a ton!
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • new slime tubes
    it feels so much lighter

It would feel even lighter with some normal tubes in...those things weigh a ton!

You are most definitely right about the wait of slime, however, it's thorn bush trimming time and regardless of what tyres and what pressure you run, you will get multiple punctures in one night - 3 fixes is max I've had, but that's with 10-12 thorns lol. It's thorny round here.

• felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    :lol: sounds like a nightmare!
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • The Rookie
    Slime tubes can be a thorny subject........
  • The Rookie
    On-one now have
    456Carbon at £499
    Whippets at £249 for a 20" in yellow, £349 for 16in red/white, now or other sizes at end of this month, also undecalled.......
  • On-one now have
    456Carbon at £499
    Whippets at £249 for a 20" in yellow, £349 for 16in red/white, now or other sizes at end of this month, also undecalled.......

I have my heart set on an 18" 456 black matte with grey decals. I have the complete build sorted in my head now (black n gold like my wheelset). I'm undecided on forks though??