Forum home Road cycling forum Road buying advice

Wheels set questions! dura-ace C24 or Campag Neutron

lofty102lofty102 Posts: 138
edited September 2012 in Road buying advice
I'm looking to change the wheels on my Moda Stretto, to something with a lower profile than the 34mm American Classic 420 Aero's that are currently on it. I'm looking at either Shimano Dura-Ace 7900 C24 or 2013 Campagnola Neutron ultra's. I have seen both wheelsets for around £600. I mainly ride for between 1-2hrs at a time a few times a week and now do the odd Sportive.
1st question - my bike currently has SRAM force gears on it - will i need to change anything or will the wheels be compatible?
2nd question - Which is the better wheel set out of the two mentioned above?
3rd question - Are there any other wheelsets available for around that price that i should consider?

Thanks for any advice you can throw my way!
2010 Mondraker Factor RR
2014 canyon ultimate cf 9.0 sl
2016 Planet x pro carbon
2017 Scott Spark 730

• mamba80mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Just make sure that you get the shimano Freehub for the Neutrons, i know 2 people who really rate these wheels, one shimano h/f and the other campag.
    I ve the 7850 c24 and think they great as well :)
  • Thanks for the reply, I honestly can't decide between them! The shimano's are the better known wheel so I can find more positive reviews for them, but having said that I've not heard anything bad about either!! Arrghhhh!!!
    2010 Mondraker Factor RR
    2016 Planet x pro carbon
    2017 Scott Spark 730
  • GrillGrill Posts: 5,610
    Just get whichever you prefer the look of then. Honestly I'm sure you'll be happy either way.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • rolf_frolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I have the standard Neutrons and they've been great for me.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • hugo15hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    Rolf F wrote:
    I have the standard Neutrons and they've been great for me.

+1
  • VelonutterVelonutter Posts: 2,437 Lives Here
    I believe the Shamal and the Neutron came out as the top wheels when CW did a review a couple of years ago.

I have had the Neutrons and they spun up very quickly, were bullet proof as well as are all Campag wheels.
  • mfinmfin Posts: 6,726
    If you go for the Campag's you can always change the freehub if you decide to move from Sram/Shimano to Campagnolo groupsets, that's one advantage over a Shimano wheel.

I went from Da7850cl24's to Shamal Ultra and what I will say is the Shamal's are a smoother ride. The 2 guys I ride with the most have had plenty of goes on my bike and when I changed the wheels they both noticed the same thing.

Lateral stiffness there's nothing to tell between the two sets. Shamal Ultra's tend to come in cheaper than Fulcrum Racing Zero's for what's basically the same wheelset, even though some people prefer the look of the rear wheel spoking in one or the other. Zero's were a clear £140 more when I bought mine, so Campag's were a no-brainer.

I started my Shamals on Sram Red, swapped the freehub when I made the move on that bike to Super Record.

(shinybikes were best price on Shamals when I bought mine, and the dark label versions look pretty tasteful on any bike and colour scheme, unless you like things to look loud and are the sort of person who nails a massive spoiler to the back of a crappy hot hatch :) )
  • Thanks again for the advice and views you've all given me, after a bit more research and reading I'm pretty sure I'm going to go for the Campag Neutron ultra's with the shimano free hub, and I'll keep my current wheel set as a spare set just in case! To be fair though I haven't read anything bad about either wheel set I was looking at. I've just bought some planet x ti skewers to go with them as well. Now to go a choose which cassette!ha
    2010 Mondraker Factor RR
    2016 Planet x pro carbon
    2017 Scott Spark 730