Frame/Fork mounted lights

butcher of bakersfield
butcher of bakersfield Posts: 1,233
edited September 2012 in Road buying advice
I want some decent lights for the winter on my road bike. I already have lights on my MTB, but I don't want to be swapping them over every other day, and as I ride with a saddle bag, I figure it would be best to have (the rear at least) frame mounted. Perhaps on the fixings for the brake, or clipped to the outside seat stay? I also like the idea of them being tucked away on the fork at the front.

For being seen with, rather than seeing with (I have lights already I can use for that purpose).

Would rather not spend loads of money. Anything decent and affordable out there?

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,853
    for the rear, up on the seat post is more visible, but if the saddle bag will obscure it the seat stay is a good option

i'd be wary of mounting a front light on the forks, many forks taper downwards (which isn't great for secure clamping), it could be extremely nasty if it slipped or got knocked into the spokes

for the seat stay you need a mounting that allows the light to be pivoted to align it properly

these come with a seatstay mount...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/smart-lunar-r2-rear-light/
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • sungod wrote:
    i'd be wary of mounting a front light on the forks, many forks taper downwards (which isn't great for secure clamping), it could be extremely nasty if it slipped or got knocked into the spokes

This is the kinda thing I was thinking of, so it it securely fitted to the brake mount, front and back. I suppose it's very traditional in a way? But I like the idea of it tuced out of the way there, and as a fairly permanent fixture of the bike. Moving things around on the handlebars/seatpost drives me mad.

SCHED-on-TT.jpg
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,853
    the bike in that image looks like it has disk brakes, so the light is mounting using the 'spare' hole in the forks where the calipers are on a normal road bike

not sure i'd want such a thick mount between brakes and forks, but there are thinner ones (have a look at busch & muller lights)

many lights that mount this way are driven by dynamo and/or battery pack, so you'd also need to allow for that

depends what size/power light you are after, but there are quite a few that connect to the bars with a simple silicone/similar band, which makes it very easy to fit/remove in a few seconds

to "be seen" a decent flashing led light on the bars ahould do it
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Yeah, the picture above is not a good example (it was the best I could find), but I'm pretty sure there are metal fixings available which will allow you to fit the light between the calliper (as you would with mudguards). They don't appear to be very common though...hence my questions.

I'm a bit surprised to be honest, as it seems the logical place to put lights, to me anyway. And I was kinda set on the idea.

AA or AAA battery power would be ideal.
  • Yeah, the picture above is not a good example (it was the best I could find), but I'm pretty sure there are metal fixings available which will allow you to fit the light between the calliper (as you would with mudguards). They don't appear to be very common though...hence my questions.

I'm a bit surprised to be honest, as it seems the logical place to put lights, to me anyway. And I was kinda set on the idea.

AA or AAA battery power would be ideal.

I'm not sure if they do them but have a look and see if you could get something that mounts onto the headset like a spacer, would keep it off the handlebars and out the way.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    You could always make something. A bit of fiddling about with some copper heating pipe and some steel bar and you'd have yourself a fork crown mount for a handlebar mounted light. Alternatively, if you have lowrider eyes you could screw something to those.

As for strapping something to the fork...it'd be no worse than a computer sensor mount, as long as the light is a small one.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}