How do I renovate and clean a rusty cassette

fatdaz
fatdaz Posts: 348
edited September 2012 in Workshop
The 6-speed Shimano cassette on my son's bike is showing a lot of signs of rust. It has always been kept clean and oiled and I've never seen this before but in the last couple of weeks I have noticed a lot of surface rust. Can I just get a wire brush to this or is there a specific way I need to remove the rust and clean the cassette?

Cheers

Comments

• try using an old tooth brush and some WD40
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • A new chain is very cheap you know and saves a lot of work.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If it's 6 speed then it may well be a freewheel, in which case the sprockets can't be separated for proper cleaning. Best you can hope to do is get a rag in between the sprockets and clean out all the black gunky stuff; see what it looks like then. If it really is rusty then a wire brush is really the best bet. Either that or just replace the thing with a nice new shiny one!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    You can do a lot worse than put some diluted degreaser in a pan with the cassette and cook it a bit! The cack should fall straight off.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • fatdaz
    fatdaz Posts: 348
    Thanks for all the replies. It's clean, i.e. no gunk, but it's rusty. I'll try things in order of the least destructive - toothbrush then wire brush.

Cheers