Gear indexing adjustment

notnot
notnot Posts: 284
edited September 2012 in Workshop
My bike's a bit reluctant to switch from the smaller to larger sprocket on the front wheel. I gather it's worth trying tweaking the indexing - is turning the adjusting barrel coming out of the left shifter half a turn counterclockwise the correct way to go? Thanks :)

Comments

  • I think you are turning it the wrong way but the easy way to work it out is turn it and see what happens if it is better then leave it there if it is worse turn it the other way a full turn and test again.

    If this sounds like trial and error that is because it is, you won't hurt anything by doing this but you will learn which way to turn it. I ALWAYS forget because I do it so rarely so this method is invaluable for me!
  • Small cog to larger cog generally means you are tightening the gear cable to achieve this. So if it is not doing this properly than you need to effectively shorten the cable to make it a bit tighter. This is normally done by turning the knob on the rear dérailleur anticlockwise.
  • notnot
    notnot Posts: 284
    owenlars wrote:
    Small cog to larger cog generally means you are tightening the gear cable to achieve this. So if it is not doing this properly than you need to effectively shorten the cable to make it a bit tighter. This is normally done by turning the knob on the rear dérailleur anticlockwise.

    Thanks - do I need to adjust the rear if it's the front that's slow shifting?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    notnot wrote:
    owenlars wrote:
    Small cog to larger cog generally means you are tightening the gear cable to achieve this. So if it is not doing this properly than you need to effectively shorten the cable to make it a bit tighter. This is normally done by turning the knob on the rear dérailleur anticlockwise.

    Thanks - do I need to adjust the rear if it's the front that's slow shifting?

    No.
    Ben

    Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • notnot
    notnot Posts: 284
    Thanks. Right - sorry to be slow with this, but there's an adjusting barrel on the cable where it comes out of the left hand (shimano) shifter and nothing on the right. 3/4 of a turn on the barrel seems to have sorted things, but not sure if this is a coincidence or if I have adjusted the right thing...
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Sounds like you adjusted the right bit. No coincidence at all. :)
    Ben

    Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • notnot
    notnot Posts: 284
    Good :) Seems odd there's no barrel by the right shifter - is this normal?
  • notnot wrote:
    Good :) Seems odd there's no barrel by the right shifter - is this normal?
    Yes. The barrel adjuster for the rear cogs is on the derailleur itself.
  • Sorry should have read your post more carefully. However you seem to have sorted it. Often there are two adjusters on the downtube, one for the front and one for the rear for adjusting whilst riding. There is always one on the rear dérailleur even when there's a downtube one as well.

    I aways remember that if you want to tighten the cable, i.e. go from a little cog to a big cog more easily than you twist the adjuster anticlockwise and vice versa.
  • notnot
    notnot Posts: 284
    No problem - easily done.

    Sorted now I think, anyway. Though thinking of tightening a touch more to see if that makes it smoother - overtightening won't cause problems except worse shifting the other way?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Correct!
  • owenlars wrote:
    Sorry should have read your post more carefully. However you seem to have sorted it. Often there are two adjusters on the downtube, one for the front and one for the rear for adjusting whilst riding. There is always one on the rear dérailleur even when there's a downtube one as well.

    I aways remember that if you want to tighten the cable, i.e. go from a little cog to a big cog more easily than you twist the adjuster anticlockwise and vice versa.

    I'm confused. Do you have two shifters on the downtube, front and rear derailleur, or not? As you say, there should be two.
    Ghost Race 5000 (2011) Shimano 105 Black
    Carrera TDF (2007)

    http://www.bike-discount.de/#

    http://www.bike24.com/