Should I have a long lie or out to work early tomorrow
  • SPOC
    SPOC Posts: 109
    Joeblack wrote:

You've got more money than me.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    edited September 2012
    Are we on road beginners here? Thinking of spending north of 350 on carbon bars?!

And then the thread got moved .... :roll:
  • If you can afford it and you fancy it,go for it,that's what I think.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    How heavy?! :shock:

You could get alloy bars for £50 and a stem for £15 that would barely weigh more than that thing! Does it come with a crane to help you mount it?!

Still, a decent review here: http://road.cc/content/review/44983-fsa ... ct-barstem

Cheaper places than CRC though :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    If you're going to go integrated be absolutely sure not only on the sizing, but also that you won't be changing bikes anytime soon (different geometry could make your stem length useless). That said there are better, cheaper, and lighter options from Specialized, Cinelli, and Pro. If I were spending that much I'd go Zipp, 3T, or Ritchey carbon (separate bar and stem) and save 75+ grams.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Slowbike wrote:
    Are we on road beginners here? Thinking of spending north of 350 on carbon bars?!

Been on th road a while only just come on the forum and recently purchased my first good bike
    One plays football, tennis or golf, one does not play at cycling
  • Grill wrote:
    If you're going to go integrated be absolutely sure not only on the sizing, but also that you won't be changing bikes anytime soon (different geometry could make your stem length useless). That said there are better, cheaper, and lighter options from Specialized, Cinelli, and Pro. If I were spending that much I'd go Zipp, 3T, or Ritchey carbon (separate bar and stem) and save 75+ grams.

Iv only had my present bike one week so I won't be changing soon, can you reccomended a cheaper lighter option?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If you're not thinking of changing soon - why are you asking this ?

A new stem and bars wont help you unless the current bars and stem dont fit you properly.

Its usually better tyres or wheels as a first upgrade - depending on what you have now.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Joeblack wrote:
    Grill wrote:

Iv only had my present bike one week so I won't be changing soon, can you reccomended a cheaper lighter option?

Why do want to upgrade your cockpit? Is it just to save weight? As others have said there are better things to do with the cash, especially on a new bike (lighter wheels/better tyres). If you really must upgrade the cockpist then you need to take into account what sort of bars you like. Everything from shape, drop, reach, material, do you want to be able to use aerobars, and not to mention size. As has been said, don't go integrated unless you are 100% certain that's what you want/need.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • I got a set of these and as others have said you need to make sure they're the correct size.
    Also check eBay. I got mine for £60 and I wouldn't pay more than £120 for them
  • cougie wrote:
    If you're not thinking of changing soon - why are you asking this ?

A new stem and bars wont help you unless the current bars and stem dont fit you properly.

Its usually better tyres or wheels as a first upgrade - depending on what you have now.

Yes it's mainly weight, however I will take into account what's been said,

I already have ordered new wheels, tires, front derailleur, cassette and front & rear bakes So was looking at saving weight with a stem and saddle next on the list but this won't be till next month so I won't jump into anything and will have a look round iv already found a spec s works one for considerably cheaper
  • rolf_f
    edited September 2012
    Joeblack wrote:
    I already have ordered new wheels, tires, front derailleur, cassette and front & rear bakes So was looking at saving weight with a stem and saddle next on the list but this won't be till next month so I won't jump into anything and will have a look round iv already found a spec s works one for considerably cheaper

All this and you've had your bike one week? Exactly what do you hope to gain by all these new components aside from a bike that will end up costing you more than a better one bought with a better spec from the start?
    I mean - a new front mech! :lol:

OK, the tyres probably well worth the upgrade, maybe the wheels too. Cassette? If the gearing is too hard for you maybe but you'll need another chain too in all probability. Brakes? Can't imagine what you hope to gain with those. You should just enjoy it as it is - there's not much that will make the bike feel noticeably different.
  • Save your money or buy a car with the money instead :)
  • Save your money or buy a car with the money instead :)

:lol::lol::lol:

I laugh because you havnt seen my car 8)
  • rolf_f
    As long as your bike cost more than your car, that's all that matters here!
  • Rolf F wrote:
    As long as your bike cost more than your car, that's all that matters here!

Says it all I suppose......

But no my car cost far more than my bike...
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Joeblack wrote:

All this and you've had your bike one week? Exactly what do you hope to gain by all these new components aside from a bike that will end up costing you more than a better one bought with a better spec from the start?
    I mean - a new front mech! :lol:

OK, the tyres probably well worth the upgrade, maybe the wheels too. Cassette? If the gearing is too hard for you maybe but you'll need another chain too in all probability. Brakes? Can't imagine what you hope to gain with those. You should just enjoy it as it is - there's not much that will make the bike feel noticeably different.

I'm upgrading the parts that arnt Ultegra, the cassette wasn't to hard for me it's just not ultegra,

Why? Because I want to, my brakes for example are 105 I want ultegra so I'm upgrading (once iv sold my 105 brakes it'll end up costing me £30) why? Because I WANT a full ultegra set, it's my bike my cash I'm asking for a opinion on the stem and bars not a dissection of my buying habits thank you
  • I got a set of these and as others have said you need to make sure they're the correct size.
    Also check eBay. I got mine for £60 and I wouldn't pay more than £120 for them

Oooh look a rarity on this forum.......a straight to the point answer!! And helpful to boot!!!