Dura Ace 7900 Chainset noise ?

farrina
farrina Posts: 360
edited September 2012 in Workshop
Hello all

Its driving me nuts .... not not the chainset but a creaking that appears to be emanating from the chainset area when pushing hard (in and out of saddle) on my upper block(18 sprocket upwards) on inner ring. I have a 12-23 10 speed fitted.

Most components (except handlebars, stem, seat pillar and pedals being Ultegra Carbon) are Dura Ace 7900 and circa 2 months old so I don’t think this will be down to wear and tear .... Wheels are DA 36 back 32 front DB stainless on Mavic Open Pro 2013 again 2 months old. Bike has been assembled by me and I am circa 80kg.

It sounds like the kind of noise that you get with chain rings creaking but I have checked the bolts and they are tight. Other thing to note is that the creak is apparent on both down strokes of the cranks (in my experience you tend to get a creak in a particular part of the rotation with a loose chainring).

So far have checked
Front mech clearance on chain line
Chainring bolts
Pedals
Crank bolts
Shoe plate bolts
Both bottom bracket bearings are locked hard against the frame.
Frame (531c) for any cracks
and that all bolts are nipped up tight on everything ...

My only thought was whether it might be worth re-greasing (if this is sensible!) the hollow tech bottom bracket where the left hand crank fits onto spindle. This is my first exposure to hollow tech (my last DA groupset was about 12 years old!)

All suggestions gratefully received - its rather spoiling my man and machine in perfect harmony bit when gliding up hills - apart from my heavy panting of course :D

Cheers

Alan
Regards
Alan

Comments

• Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    I too have a creaking only when out of the saddle. I recently changed my chain to Dura Ace. When I slip the Wipperman back on the noise disappears. Just a thought.
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • Dmak
    Dmak Posts: 445
    farrina wrote:
    Hello all

My only thought was whether it might be worth re-greasing (if this is sensible!) the hollow tech bottom bracket where the left hand crank fits onto spindle. This is my first exposure to hollow tech (my last DA groupset was about 12 years old!)

If this was happening to me I'd start with the pedals, remove, clean and grease the threads and replace.

The I'd remove the chainset, the BB cups, clean the threads, the inner threads can be done with an old toothbrush. Apply anti-seize to all threads and put back together.

It might be that the bearings are shot in one of your cups.
  • You could try the tightness of stem around handlebar and steering tube. I had similar problem for years when putting bike under load and it drove me nuts. Gresed and de-greased evrything but no joy. After cleaning one day I had to re-adjust the handlebars and the noise disappeared. Give it a go, you never know.
  • farrina
    Thanks to all for your helpful suggestions - just need to get my spanners and grease out again.

Of course I could just save all this heartache (or more accuately ear ache) and get some earplugs ....

Cheers

Alan
    Regards
    Alan
  • I have 9700 DA chainset and had the same issue, although mine was solved through lubing the pedals. On my TT bike same issue but that was to do with the the wheel needing to be re-set (wasnt locked in straight).

Seems like you have tried most things but you could try a different rear wheel to double check?
  • farrina
    I removed the chainset from the bike last night and completely greased everything in sight. Hope to try it out tonight to see if that sorts it.

I did ponder whether the spokes on my new wheels were slightly slack - recently built professionally so next on my list is to borrow a friends wheel (swapping my cassette over) to see if noise remains, after which I have some brand new Dura Ace pedals to try and a new block (waiting for new frame to be built hence lots of new bits in boxes).

Failing that may need to oil my knees .....

Cheers for suggestions

Alan
    Regards
    Alan
  • Had the same on same chainset turns out was lack of grease in the wheels dropouts. Amazing how the noise come from somewhere else check that first as its a one min job.
  • farrina
    Thanks for the header - think I am in danger or running out of grease!

Working my way through components in turn having replaced pedals. Next on list chainset ....
    Regards
    Alan
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Rule No1 for creaking - before doing anything else remove / clean / grease the seatpost and saddle clamp / rails.
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • farrina
    Well I have finally solved the mystery ... I have to confess I was not to impressed either with the cause.

I was convinced that the noise was emanating from the chainset/ bottom bracket area.

I changed out the following components

Pedals
    Rear wheel (including cassette)
    Chainset (including bottom bracket)

I greased seat pin, saddle rails, rear dropouts and handlebar stem as well as checking all bolts etc were tight.

Greased my knee joints ( just in case) :D

Still there .....

I was convinced that it was something to do with the chainrings so I decided to grease not only the chainset bolts but also the actual surface area where the chainrings attach to the spider. I have never done this with a chainset previously (my cycling "career" goes back to 1978!) and this includes previous iterations of Shimano chainsets.

End result was bliss (apart from my rasping breathing of course).

However that was only half the story as in attempting to release the chainring bolts (chainset basically brand new) the pathetic tool supplied by CRC stripped the bolt head .... Panic as this was a Dura Ace 7900 chainset, so visions of great expense and pain.

I was eventually able to remove the bolt ( thank you Halfords) £12 for a set of left hand extractors, however the real sting in the tail is cost of a new DA chainring bolts ( only available in set of 5 is £30 so cost so far £42 - I'm tempted to send tool back to CRC and invite them to contribute.

So far I have ridden 50 miles and no sign of my "greased" chainset coming loose but I am perplexed why on a top line component there should be any movement between the chainrings and spider (remember this has happened with two separate DA chainsets).

For now I am just relieved albeit somewhat out of pocket.

Regards

Alan
    Regards
    Alan
  • sorry to hear that. i have fallen fowl of the cheap tool mistake too ive now got a stem bolt with a rounded head to somehow sort out (on a £200 stem)
  • farrina
    I used bolt extractors like this http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_216735_langId_-1_categoryId_165572 to remove my chainring bolt. Reviewers report varying degrees of success - reading around generally suggests that success rate can be as low as 50%

There are ideas on YouTube showing how to attack the problem.

Good luck!

Regards

Alan
    Regards
    Alan