Newbie Shimano Freehub on Reynolds Assault

woppyman72
woppyman72 Posts: 3
edited September 2012 in Workshop
Hi,

Apologies if this is the wrong area but I'm a newbie to this forum (and roadbiking as may appear obvious when I ask this question!)

I have a set of Mavic Ksyrium Elite's on my bike that I bought 3 weeks ago. I have decided to make a small upgrade to Reynolds Assault carbon wheels.

The Reynolds Assaults have a Shimano freehub already fitted but when I move the 10 Speed CS6700 Utegra cassette from the Mavic Ksyrium's onto the Reynolds, the cassette seems to be wider than the freehub. There is a spacer that goes on first before the cassette. but when I leave that out is is too loose and wobbles laterally!

I've been really careful making sure all the spacers go between the right sprockets.

The Mavic freehub is totally different and when you take it off has a couple of washers and springs behind 2 paddles that perform the freewheel action. I put it back together as it doesn't look like it is designed to be removed.

So I guess my question is, what part do I need to buy or what am I doing wrong fitting the CS6700 cassette to the Reynolds?

Any help/suggestions gratefully received. :?

Comments

• I can answer my own question :)

I downloaded the schematic of the cassette in question and armed with the knowledge that everything was in the right place, managed to fit the locking ring despite the cassette extending over the freehub spindle by 1-1.5m. All gears index correctly and no play evident so I'm assuming all is good.
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,891
    Mavic wheels normally require an extra spacer behind the cassette.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****