Hydrolic disk brake rub

Benz carrera
Benz carrera Posts: 146
edited September 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello I have jus brought a carrera Vulcan and twice I took it back with the rear disk rubbing on pads I think and now they say they need bedding in first is this true or is there any other solutions?

Comments

• That is true.

If they have checked the rotor is not bent and the caliper is centered then give it some time if it is not dragging much.
  • Thanks mate its not rubbing to much now might be me being fussy,lol when u mean the calliper is centred do u mean the 2 bolts on the top and bottom? Sorry I'm new to all this lol really appreciate ur help
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    hydraulic brakes

check parktools website

and you tube, all you need to know
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    Loosen the top 2 bolts slightly until the calipers can move. Pull the brake lever and keep it held. Tighten the bolts

That should be all you need to do. Spin the wheel to check.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Read this, don't make the same mistake he did.
    viewtopic.php?f=40028&t=12876201
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Another possibility is the hydraulic fluid levels in the reservoir. If you have too much brake fluid in the system, it may not be allowing the pistons to retract fully into the caliper and therefore making the pads rub on the disc.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Direct from factory I doubt very much it is overfilled!

When centering the callipr you need to do up the bolts in turns a little at a time as the friction between bolt and caliper can twist it making it rub!

Disc pads sit very very lose to the disc, its what allows the system to run a large 'mechanical advantage' (leverage) for better stopping power, the downside is a little light disc rub during bedding in.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.