Something for the missis to do? Lake District?

coyote101
coyote101 Posts: 125
edited September 2012 in Routes
Planning a short break with the wife, was wondering if anyone knows where there is a good trail centre that also has plenty nearby for her to do while I'm doing my thing. Thought about the Lakes, trail centres there are only Whinlatter and Grizedale as far as I can see, shortish red runs but are they worth the trip? I live in Birmingham/Solihull - anyone recommend either of those or suggest anywhere else that's not in the middle of nowhere and has stuff for non riders to do. Thanks!

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    what sort of stuff does she like to do? cwmcarn and afan are reasonably close to large towns. about 20 mins from afan is a discount shopping centre which is half decent and has cafes etc is that the sort of thing you mean or actual activities?
  • Whinlatter is near Keswick and grizdale is not far from Ambleside which are both tourist traps with all the shops/cafes etc that go with that.
    Though to be honest I drove up from Stoke and did Whinlatter red & blue and then drove to the north face trail and was back home for tea time so if your stopping up there you may need to look for more riding to fill your days.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    As Kev said what does she like to do, last time I went with the mrs I did whinlater while she did some photography in the forest.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Last time I did Whinlatter the missus and little girl played in Keswick all day (check out the Pencil Museum). The time before that they did one of the signposted walks there.

Or you could hire her a bike and she could ride with you?