Advice for new set of wheels with road tyres

URCshadow
URCshadow Posts: 5
edited September 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

So I generally train on road when im on my own and go off road with my mates. Ive also got a long charity cycle coming up so would like to be able to make my MTB 'easier' to use on road. I figure a great help would be if I were to get a second set of wheels with road tyres on that I can swap around depending on what im doing. Plus I don't have space for a second bike.

I currently have a 2011 Cube XMS
REAR DERAILLEUR: Shimano Deore XT RD-M773 Shadow 10-speed.
FRONT DERAILLEUR: Shimano SLX FD-M661-10, Top Swing, 34.9mm 10-speed.
SHIFTERS: Shimano SLX SL-M660-10 Rapidfire-Plus, 10-speed.
BRAKES: Shimano BR-M4451 hydr.. discbrake(180/160mm).
CRANKSET: Shimano FC-M552 2-Piece 42x32x24T, 175mm, integrated BB 3x10 speed.
CASSETTE: Shimano CS-HG81 11-36T, 10-speed.
CHAIN: Shimano CN-HG74 10-speed, 110 links.
RIMS: RFR ZX24.
FRONTHUB: Shimano Disc HB-RM65.
REARHUB: Shimano Disc FH-RM65.

So (and please forgive how much of a novice I am) I know I need to source two wheels (with hubs), brake discs, tyres and a rear cassette. after some research Ive heard about freewheel hubs, threads, splines and hubs. The bit that im worried about tripping up over most is getting wheels with a hub that is only compatible with 8 or 9 speed cassettes. (I saw a previous poster on this forum recommended keep all your mech 10 speed if you have 10 speed stuff).

Ive found another Shimano HG81 10 Speed MTB Cassette 11-36 and theres an option of getting an 11-34 version (would that be better for on road cycling?)

What types of hubs should I aim for when looking for wheels? whats confused me more is looking at sites that sell the hub I currently have state its for 8 or 9 speed cassettes...

Any way apologies for the essay and any advice you can give that would fill in the gaps in my knowledge would be great!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    on the cassettes neither.

just buy some slicks.

or spend a few hundred on a road bike.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • what do you mean "on the cassettes neither"?

I thought about just buying some slicks but it would be alot of messing around swapping tyres so I thought id try and find out more about getting a second set of wheels. I thought about a road bike but its more to store plus i really like my Cube, just the knobbly tyres are quite resistant on the road
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It can be more messing about swapping the wheels - might need to readjust gears, and the brakes. Or shim the brakes rotor.

8/9/10 freehubs are all the same though.
  • ah ok, hadnt considered stuff would need readjusting. Perhaps I'll just stick to swapping the tyres then.

is a Shimano Disc FH-RM65 a 'freehub' ?

If I got the same model cassette, wheels and brakes I have now would stuff still need adjusting?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yes to freehub.
    Assume by the second bit - are you asking if you get the same stuff, will you still need to adjust everything - yes.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    URCshadow wrote:
    what do you mean "on the cassettes neither"?
    well neither will really do anything. 11T is still the same small cog size. which will also be the same as you have now.

new wheels. discs. cassette. tubes. tyres how much? you could get a new road bike for that.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • I looked around and I can get a Viking Giro D'Italia for like £200 and with discounts at Halfords I could get a Carrera TDF for around £290. I thought road tyres with brake discs and the option to unlock the suspension on my Cubecould be worth looking into but it sounds like it wouldnt be practical with all the adjusting required. Plus Im a bit dubious about the specs of an entry level road bike but I guess just swapping over the tyres will the simplist and cheapest option. Cheers for your comments
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I got a nice old Carrera Monza off Ebay for a fiver. New tubes and it was perfect. Lucky buy (lousy ad, no pic) but round the corner so worth a punt. Had to drive past the dump on the way home so easy enough if it had been real rubbish. Turned out to be in lovely condition, Reynolds 531. Just the first time the guy's wife had ever placed an ad. (And the last by the look on his face, but he was a gentleman)
    Worth looking around.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    URCshadow wrote:
    I looked around and I can get a Viking Giro D'Italia for like £200 and with discounts at Halfords I could get a Carrera TDF for around £290. I thought road tyres with brake discs and the option to unlock the suspension on my Cubecould be worth looking into but it sounds like it wouldnt be practical with all the adjusting required. Plus Im a bit dubious about the specs of an entry level road bike but I guess just swapping over the tyres will the simplist and cheapest option. Cheers for your comments
    or pop into your LBS and have a chat they may have some exchange bikes.

TBH change tyres or buy a bike going for the wheels is a nice idea but the cost for the use and the actual improvement compared to a bike fit for is not worth it.
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    I had a set of alex rims with city jets on them it worked out cheaper in the long run to just swap the tyres over my chain wore and the qr skewers fooked up also pads wore quite fast as had different type of disc but wer same size I'm a nooob
    And thought it would be better but na oh well kept the dt Swiss and just swap tyres over now simples
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2