Rohloff axle ring cable: does it HAVE TO BE 165mm?

Michael Falk
Michael Falk Posts: 169
edited September 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I've put together a spare axle ring assembly closely following the Rohloff guidebook. After getting each end of the cable coming out of its exit it was necessary to cut each cable, after pulling each out as far as possible, to 165mm. Then the black concertina tubes were attached & then the male bayonet connectors.
I then compared my "finished" spare ring assembly to what I have on my bike. It was clear that my spare axle ring was not going to do the job since since its cables were too short! On my bike in 1st or 14th gear my longer concertined cable from the hub was out over 175mm. So, the screw adjustments near my rear brakes were not going to suffice if I was to use my "spare" ring assembly.
The ring assembly on my bike was put together by the only shop that deals with Rohloff here (Melbourne), did they simply not follow the manual? Is it necessary to follow the manual in this case or should I just estimate the lengths (& ignore the 165mm instruction) to cut the cable from the axle ring so that it meets the cables from the shifter?
I hope this makes sense to somebody!
Michael.