Spoke just pinged off - why ??

highlander777
highlander777 Posts: 67
edited September 2012 in Road buying advice
Hi

I got about 400yrds from my house. I was going up hill, when I heard a ping noise. Got off my bike and noticed a spoke was missing. I have Mavic R-Sys SLR wheels. Also, it looks like the wheel might be buckled. The brake is also rubbing against the wheel

I have no idea what has just happened. Off to the bike shop tomorrow. feels like something has failed!!

Very odd but does anyone has any ideas??

Comments

• You broke a spoke... It is not unheard of... Only annoying thing is that your spokes need to be ordered and might be a few days to wait... I seem to recall they are 15 pounds each.
    Given he low spoke count you cannot ride your wheel until it is fixed
    left the forum March 2023
  • Well, clearly something has gone wrong. Depending on how old the wheels are the spokes may have loosened enough for the smallest little bump to send the whole wheel out of true. Chances are your LBS will tell you all the spokes are completely loose (I'm going to look like a complete nob if i'm wrong). If the warp isn't that bad, the LBS will probably get another spoke and true the wheels, and they should be completely fine!
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,869
    edited September 2012
    r-sys slr is the one with the carbon fibre tracomp spokes, was is one of those that went, or was it one of the metal ones on the rear drive side?

did the spoke snap, or did something else fail?

a metal spoke could fail due to damage, incorrect tension, corrosion, etc., but the cf ones really should only go if damaged i think

with a spoke gone, the wheel will warp due to the loss of tension, but it should be fine once re-spoked and trued
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    BikeSwan wrote:
    Well, clearly something has gone wrong. Depending on how old the wheels are the spokes may have loosened enough for the smallest little bump to send the whole wheel out of true. Chances are your LBS will tell you all the spokes are completely loose (I'm going to look like a complete doorknob if i'm wrong). If the warp isn't that bad, the LBS will probably get another spoke and true the wheels, and they should be completely fine!

Unfortunately you are wrong. Because of the low spoke count you only need 1 spoke to go and the whole wheel will warp out of true. The rest of the spokes will be fine(they are factory made wheels and these spoke types do not loosen). The wheel will come into to true once the new spoke is fitted but ensure the LBS is competent to do the job as its possible to get these Mavic wheels into true but still put excess pressure on the other spokes which cannot be seen but leave you in a possible position for more spokes to go. I speak from experience and had to eventually replace in total 3 spokes but have been problem free since.

Top tip mark the spoke which is replaced in the even you get another one going so you can identify what one it is.
    Brian B.
  • Hi

Thanks for all the replies.

The wheels are about 18 months old. The remaining spokes seem fine, not loose.

The one that snapped off was flat in configuration. There are 2 types and the other one is round.

Nothing else appears to have failed

Cheers
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    In the end all you can do is get it fixed. I doubt anyone can give you an answer as to why it broke. Hate to say it but that's what spokes eventually do. Searching for a reason is a waste of time IMHO. Best advice. Fix it - move on. :wink:
  • Hi

Thanks for all the replies.

The wheels are about 18 months old. The remaining spokes seem fine, not loose.

The one that snapped off was flat in configuration. There are 2 types and the other one is round.

Nothing else appears to have failed

Cheers

One of the Zicral then... using aluminium alloy for spokes was never a good idea, due to the unfavourable fatigue behaviour... I wonder if Mavic and Fulcrum employ any engineer who passed his module of Materials science
    left the forum March 2023
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,869
    ^^^this

op - if the wheel is newish i'd expect warranty to cover it, just changing one spoke is not a good idea, the adjacent spokes at least should also be replaced as they'll now be under much higher tension, probably the wheel should be stripped and rebuilt - i had a spoke go on a sram wheel after less than a year, sram just gave me a new wheel under warranty
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Sungod

I like your response. I checked the warranty from Mavic. They provide 2yrs.

I rang the shop and asked if they are qualified to do the work. They are not, so I suggested they call Mavic and ask for a replacement. I am sure that would be cheaper than re-building the wheel

cheers