weird clicking noise from front of bike

redvision
redvision Posts: 2,958
edited September 2012 in Workshop
So for the last few days i have noticed a clicking noise when climbing and also when running over uneven roads.

I had issues with the headset (FSA Orbit C-40) a few weeks ago. My lbs had a look at it and said it was due to needing greasing. The bike has been fine since then until middle of last week.
I noticed whilst climbing a strange clicking noise coming from the front end (at least i think it is).
I checked the pedals and the bottom bracket and both seem fine. Have also checked the hubs and both are running silky smooth.
The only other thing i could think of was the headset again (although the issues i had before were the bearings grinding, not a clicking noise like this).

I went out yesterday but ended up cutting the ride short because it almost sounded like there was something rattling inside the frame. But when i stopped and shook it there is no noise whatsoever. The clicking only happens when climbing and when on uneven roads.

Is there anything else it could be?

I have booked it in to my lbs for the end of the week, but kind of wanted an idea as to what it might be, and what the expense may be.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Dmak
    Dmak Posts: 445
    Handlebar clamp? Try tightening the bolts a little.
  • redvision
    Dmak wrote:
    Handlebar clamp? Try tightening the bolts a little.

thanks for the reply.

yeah have tried this. hasn't made a difference.
  • Dmak
    No problem.

In which case, reading further I'd suggest tightening up your headset a touch.

Loosen the 2 bolts on the stem clamp, then tighten the top bolt a bit, re-tighten the clamp bolts and that should be it, fixed.

I have to do this occasionally with my Allez.
  • Dmak
    Another thought, I'm getting a slight clicking from my clamp too, despite tightening a bit recently. So I'm going to myself and will suggest, removing the bars from the clamp and giving everything a good clean.
  • redvision
    Dmak wrote:
    Another thought, I'm getting a slight clicking from my clamp too, despite tightening a bit recently. So I'm going to myself and will suggest, removing the bars from the clamp and giving everything a good clean.

good idea. will try this this evening.

will let ya know if it makes a difference.

thanks again
  • Dmak
    Cleaned out my hbar clamp, seems to have done the trick :-) Also replaced the drive train, minor job ;-)
  • redvision
    sorted! :D
    cleaned the bar clamp & greased everything & the noise seems to have disappeared!

thanks for your help Dmak