Fork upgrade for Spesh 2011 Hardrock Pro 17.5"

mjcharlton71
mjcharlton71 Posts: 7
edited September 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Any thoughts on fork upgrades for my Spesh 2011 Hardrock Pro 2011 17.5" frame? Getting a bit hacked off with the pogo stick forks and would like something a little more plush and decent.

Spesh recommend and warranty for only up to 80mm forks, but it seems a little difficult getting hold of such a mythical beast of a fork at the minute!

Comments

• Do they?

I thought 110mm?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Should be 110mm - not the 29er version is it?
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    The 2011 model is a 26" wheel bike. The go-to replacement fork (three or four people on this forum have done it, including me) for the Hardrock is the Rockshox Recon, which turns it into a bike well worth the RRP. And the frame seems to cope pretty well with 100mm of travel, too
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Most of the 100mm forks can be set to 80mm, just dont come that way and require partial dissasembly to set. Alternatively, if its an air fork you could just set with more sag so that the bike geometry remains the same without changing the setting of the forks.

Quite a few places have said that the slacker head angle given by fitting a 100mm fork to the Hardrock actually improves the bike though...

I am in the process of fitting Tora AIR forks to my son's Hardrock and daughter's Myka (one set of Toras I had off an old bike and the other I bought for £30 second hand). Should be MUCH lighter as well as better than the original forks and I can set them to give the much lighter rider (10yr old and 12yr old) more travel than the stiff springs normally fitted.
  • Giraffoto
    apreading wrote:
    . . . Should be MUCH lighter as well as better than the original forks . . .
    You're in for a surprise, even though you're expecting it! At first I took some of the comments about the OE Suntour fork with a pinch of salt, but they were all right and the difference in weight is startling. It's got to be around a kilogram.
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • apreading
    Giraffoto wrote:
    apreading wrote:
    . . . Should be MUCH lighter as well as better than the original forks . . .
    You're in for a surprise, even though you're expecting it! At first I took some of the comments about the OE Suntour fork with a pinch of salt, but they were all right and the difference in weight is startling. It's got to be around a kilogram.

When I read the first part, I started to panic that you were going to tell me I was wrong, but then read the rest and happy for it!

It should make a massive difference to a 12yr old if you consider the % of their bodyweight that they will no longer need to push up hills!

Am now wondering about lighter wheels too, but suspect that would cost alot more money. There are some Eastons on CRC for £200 that look interesting though... and at least this expense could be transferred onto the next bike as he outgrows this one.
  • Giraffoto
    apreading wrote:
    Am now wondering about lighter wheels too, but suspect that would cost alot more money. There are some Eastons on CRC for £200 that look interesting though... and at least this expense could be transferred onto the next bike as he outgrows this one.
    I put Hope Hoops on mine (DT Swiss XR-400 rims, standard spokes) and the result is a fair bit lighter, considerably noisier in the freehub, has cartridge rather than cup-and-cone bearings (just a prejudice of mine) and feels a bit springier, which seems to help hill climbing.

On that point of . . .
    the next bike as he outgrows this one
    What's he going to outgrow? The frame, and maybe the stem. Why not upsize it when the time comes by replacing the frame with a larger size, maybe a C456? I'm already planning to slot a 14" frame into my Hardrock (by which time it won't be a Hardrock any more!) to pass it onto my little boy when he gets big enough
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • apreading
    Trouble with 'just' changing the frame is that the gear and brake cables may not be the right length, bottom bracket may not be the right size, seatpost might not be the right diameter etc. If I end up changing all of that then I might as well get a second hand complete bike, sell the original to get some money back and save loads of hassle too.

More to the point though - my son insists he will only ride a Specialized - he has bought into the brand in a stupid way, but there is no telling him otherwise...

Am considering a Rockhopper next time round - second hand as I now know what I am doing enough to tell if everything is OK or fix most problems if I miss something.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    apreading: Youre probably ok on most of those fronts - Seatposts on specializeds tend to be standard 30.9, BBs are pretty standard now if its hollowtech, and to be fair, he'll need longer crank arms anyway, and most other bits should fit as long as you keep the steerer not chopped to the min. Cables are cheap enough.

You could be in luck if you want some wheels! I have some DT/Shimano/specialized 420SL (even the right brand!) wheels I am looking to offload. Very good nick (you've seen my workshop!) and probably only want £80 for them. Not the lightest ever, or indeed the strongest, but definitely going to be lighter than what is on there right now and tough enough for a nipper. QR rear and 9mm bolt through front (whith a natty DT RWS skewer thats £40 on its own).
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • apreading
    Dont think bolt through would work with the forks I have - otherwise it would be a good deal but I am actually looking at even lighter wheelsets like the Easton EA70 http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Kits ... elID=85165 or the stans crest rims on superstar hubs - either are around 1650 grams, which is around 300grams lighter still than yours but should hopefully be strong enough for a light rider. Bit more expensive though at £200...