Wheel Upgrade - Ksyrium Elites to something else

kleinstroker
kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
edited September 2012 in Road buying advice
I really like my wheels, but they're a few years old now and I can't help thinking I should be upgrading them. I'm also just finishing my new bike build, Moda Stretto, so an upgrade would be timely. Any opinions of which way to go? I'm mostly just a riding for fun and fitness for now though may do a few sportives etc next year.
Would I notice the difference on something like the American Classics Aero 420 or the Dura Ace C24/C35 combo?

Cheers

Comments

• Fulcrum racing zero
  • Yeah, been looking at this myself.
    Current thoughts are:
    1) Dura Ace - C24 7900 - £600
    2) Dura Ace - C35 7900 - £900
    3) Fulcrum Zero's Dark Label - £800
    4) Mavic Ksyrium SL - £600
    5) Something Aero like the Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL / American Classic 58's / RS80 C50's

Currently tempted more by the Dura Ace C24's as they get good reviews, and I don't see why the C35's are £300 more. I have just had a Fulcrum 3 rim break on me (after hitting a pot hole) and it is now a write-off. At least with the Dura Ace you are getting a standard 16/20 spoke configuration so there should be some chance of getting them repaired if required.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I've had the Dura Ace C24's (amongst many other wheels including Zipp and Campag Bora Ultra 2 tubs) but got some Ksyrium Elites as a stop gap. I'm keeping them as I think they are just about the best thing out there for performance/pound.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • I'm not sure I would get the benefit of proper aero wheels like the carbones, but the Dura Ace are tempting. So NapD are the Dura Ace not noticably better than the elites?
  • napoleond
    No, I'd say the DAs weren't as good, mainly due to the fact I found them a lot less stiff.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • That's a bit of a surprise to be honest. I would have bet my right arm they were stiffer and a better all round ride. Maybe the Aero 420's are the way to go then, as they were standard spec on the Moda anyway.
  • napoleond
    That's a bit of a surprise to be honest. I would have bet my right arm they were stiffer and a better all round ride. Maybe the Aero 420's are the way to go then, as they were standard spec on the Moda anyway.

A smoother ride yes, but every time I got out of the saddle the brake rub drove me mad...
    ABCC Cycling Coach