Time bonuses

Lichtblick
Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
edited August 2012 in Pro race
These Vuelta time bonuses confuse me. Actually, they're doing my head in.

At the end of Stage 11, AC was one second down (on the GC)

General Classification after Stage 11
1 RODRIGUEZ OLIVER, Joaquin (KATUSHA) 40:26:15
2 CONTADOR VELASCO, Alberto (SAXO BANK-TINKOFF BANK) + 0:01 <

At the end of Stage 12, he came in 6 seconds after the winner.

Stage 12 Results
1 RODRIGUEZ OLIVER, Joaquin (KATUSHA) 4:24:32
2 CONTADOR VELASCO, Alberto (SAXO BANK-TINKOFF BANK) + 0:06 <

1 + 6 = 7 seconds down. But then AC got 8 seconds for coming in second. Therefore he should be virtually 1 second ahead, i.e., -1 second.

But the winner gained 12 seconds for coming in first. That would put AC on plus 11 seconds.

HOWEVER, if you ignore AC's 6 seconds down across the line as if that is completely irrelevant, and add the winner's one second in hand to his 12 seconds bonus, that puts him 13 seconds ahead of AC. BUT that also ignores AC's 8 seconds bonus for coming in second!

General Classification after Stage 12
1 RODRIGUEZ OLIVER, Joaquin (KATUSHA) 44:50:35
2 CONTADOR VELASCO, Alberto (SAXO BANK-TINKOFF BANK) + 0:13 <

GoodGodAlmighty. How can anyone make head or tail of this? :shock: :?: :shock: :?:

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Contador was eight seconds behind on the stage, not six.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    RichN95 wrote:
    Contador was eight seconds behind on the stage, not six.

It says six seconds behind here: http://www.steephill.tv/vuelta-a-espana/
    But eight seconds behind here: http://www.lavuelta.com/12/en/resultado ... .html?e=12

So if the eight seconds is correct, then

1 + 8 = 9 - 8 = 1 + 12 = 13

:shock: :?: :?

WHY DO THEY DO ALL THIS? IT'S MAD, MAD, MAD!
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    The time gaps are getting changed quite often this vuelta it seems. Even happened in the TTT
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    Plus I'm sure I have seen timeable gaps in the peloton some days and everyone given the same time and then one stage last week (Montjuic I think) there was a tiny gap after the first few riders in the bunch and they gave the rest of the riders a different time. I'm not cynical enough to suggest it is based on whether or not the size of the gap benefits or hinders a Spanish rider ;)
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,132
    JonGinge wrote:
    The time gaps are getting changed quite often this vuelta it seems. Even happened in the TTT

Doesn't say much for Spanish timekeeping....Are we sure the ITT times were correct? ;)
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    AndyRAC wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

Doesn't say much for Spanish timekeeping....Are we sure the ITT times were correct? ;)
    I suspect the watch timing J-Rod was placed near a really massive object ;)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides