Cube seat clamp

Fatal_Exception
Fatal_Exception Posts: 42
edited September 2012 in MTB general
Guys

Was out last week and the QR seat clamp on my Cube basically broke, it no longer clamps the seat tight. Was just wondering if anyone had had similar problems and what the solution was? I'm thinking of just replacing it with a ordinary bolt seat clamp or if anyone can recommend a decent QR clamp that will not malfunction so quickly.

Comments

• Adotparker
    Adotparker Posts: 128
    I like the Salsa Bolt on ones....... I like the bolt ons...... due to me being a heavy rugby player/mountain biker :S
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • andhr
    andhr Posts: 88
    You'd be well worth emailing Cube too, so they can consider a recall, that's hellish dangerous!
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    andhr wrote:
    You'd be well worth emailing Cube too, so they can consider a recall, that's hellish dangerous!

A recall for one broken seat clamp? I can really see that happening.

To the OP, can you nip the bike back to the LBS you bought it from? It may be able to be replaced under warranty
  • andhr
    andhr wrote:

A recall for one broken seat clamp? I can really see that happening.

To the OP, can you nip the bike back to the LBS you bought it from? It may be able to be replaced under warranty

I wasn't suggesting that there was only one, maybe there are a lot of broken seat clamps and no one has bothered informing the dealer or manufacturer... they just replace; I seem to remember Toyota and brakes were a bit like that a couple of years back.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    There certainly hasn't been any rush of posts on here about random Cube seatclamp failures, and people love to moan, so if there had been I would expect to have read something.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jeannot18
    jeannot18 Posts: 720
    Guys

Was out last week and the QR seat clamp on my Cube basically broke, it no longer clamps the seat tight. Was just wondering if anyone had had similar problems and what the solution was? I'm thinking of just replacing it with a ordinary bolt seat clamp or if anyone can recommend a decent QR clamp that will not malfunction so quickly.
    My cousin's cube got faulty too. He did not bother taking it back to his lbs where he bought the bike (don't really know why). He used some aluminium drink can to make the tube thicker :shock: This happened pretty quickly after he bought the bike btw
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
    Specialized Elite Allez with 105
    Rockrider 8.1 : )
  • andhr wrote:
    I wasn't suggesting that there was only one, maybe there are a lot of broken seat clamps and no one has bothered informing the dealer or manufacturer... they just replace; I seem to remember Toyota and brakes were a bit like that a couple of years back.

So, what's the likely thing to happen with a seat clamp that doesn't clamp up tight enough? Oh yeah, your seatpost slides down. Hardly worth a stop sale notice and a mass recall. Of course, without the full information of what is wrong with the seat clamp it could be something super simple like tightening the little wheel up so it clamps tighter
  • Plyphon
    Plyphon Posts: 433
    andhr wrote:

So, what's the likely thing to happen with a seat clamp that doesn't clamp up tight enough? Oh yeah, your seatpost slides down. Hardly worth a stop sale notice and a mass recall. Of course, without the full information of what is wrong with the seat clamp it could be something super simple like tightening the little wheel up so it clamps tighter

Or the opposite - the user tightening that little wheel up too tight!
  • andhr
    I've not touched mine, it looks nice and red, it's probably not even functional...