A cycling Loner (long don't read if no stamina)

Comments

• NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    edited September 2012
    A lovely collection of juvenile posts.. :roll:[/quote]
    search.php?author_id=544650&sr=posts

Couldnt agree more a scandalous waste of bandwith there
  • I'm not in a club and most of my rides are done on my lonesome. I do enjoy this, just me and my bike vs the elements, I can go whatever pace I like, stop off for a quick pint or coffee as I please. I would like a bit of company sometime though so I may well join a cycling club soon but I am happy to take to the roads myself.

• You make me feel like maybe I should be a bit ashamed that I'm from Leigh.

But on the plus side there are some nice hills :wink:

There's a few pretty good ones yeah, they're far enough apart though that I can and too often do just avoid them when I'm feeling like a pussy which is... oh, all the time!

Need to start hitting them more.
  • jimmies
    jimmies Posts: 156
    I'm new to road cycling and I'm sure for me it will be 98% on me tod too.....i also like fishing on my own too. Just something about be out there doing your thing. When it comes to mtb and golf I love doing that with mates
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    The real problem with riding alone (for me at any rate) is the competitive element. If it is cold, wet and windy, there's the Paralympics on the telly or you just don't feel like it, you ain't going to go, or will cut it short. If you know that your mates are coming round and they are going to drag the best out of you, that is entirely different. If you are a recreational cyclist then no probs but if you are in any way competitive then you are not going to get the best out of yourself
  • Good post!!

I'm in the same boat as you! I regularly go riding on the weekends with friends but just to keep healthy there is nothing better than going solo and just keeping fit. Sometimes all I really fancy is just cycling at my comfortable speed and listening to the hum of the bike!

Will you be able to maintain this in the winter? :?: :shock: Riding in the rain not so enjoyable... :|
  • Azhar
    Azhar Posts: 247
    heyy. since i taken up cycling i've always done it on my lonesome. its great that i can do it at my own pace, alone on the countryside to gather my thoughts. i've had a tough start to the year with some personal issues and cycling really has helped me in a lot of ways. i always set myself higher targets, even though i do a lot of the same route i always try and get faster and faster and feels brilliant when ive come back and seen on strava that i'm getting better and better.

when im riding alone i can gather my thoughts is what appeals to me most. :D
  • Mikey23 wrote:
    The real problem with riding alone (for me at any rate) is the competitive element. If it is cold, wet and windy, there's the Paralympics on the telly or you just don't feel like it, you ain't going to go, or will cut it short. If you know that your mates are coming round and they are going to drag the best out of you, that is entirely different. If you are a recreational cyclist then no probs but if you are in any way competitive then you are not going to get the best out of yourself

Not sure I agree entirely, I would say the most competitive types are those who can ride alone and still turn themselves inside out regardless, they are the really driven ones. A rare breed I grant you but they do exist.
  • I think winter will be an issue, it comes down to will power. I don't mind cold, I don't mind rain, I don't like cold and rain at the same time.

Saturday I tried the 50 miles alone, I am glad I was alone, didn't feel that good and after 18 I felt weak. So just plodded, but then on way back wind behind I felt fine again. Never made it, did 46 as the garage rang to say I had to collect my car. So had to turn around. It will come.
  • careful
    careful Posts: 720
    Hi BowtomePhil. Thanks for the interesting read, and welcome to the forum. Enjoying lone cycling does not mean that you are unsociable or anti-social imo. I think that one of the attractions of cycling is that it can be enjoyed in so many ways. Many years ago I was a very active club member and enjoyed club runs and tours as well as road racing and TTs. As an old codger now I have no interest in competing with anyone (except myself). Family commitments make solo riding a lot less hassle and, like you, I prefer to ride at my own pace. Like some others on here, I enjoy the company of other cyclists but not when riding. I also enjoy reading about what other cyclists are up to on the forum. I can understand that what I do would not suit everyone. My advice FWIW, keep doing your own thing.
  • Reassuring to see so many lone cyclists although so many in one place seems vaguely paradoxical, but it has motivated me to register and to post.

There are always personal bests of some sort to beat if you're cycling regular routes. Recently purchased a Garmin which gives me lots of data to study.

Getting out in bad weather can be a drag, but there's always some part of a ride which is enjoyable - views, wildlife, a slightly tighter line on a descent or if all else fails trying to decide which foot is number!
  • I think an APP like endomondo or Strava or A Garmin are buddies in a way.

My endonmondo talks to me, tells me my 1 mile time, my total time and distance.

I have lost weight, and sped up as well, nice to see my times tumbling without really trying. I keep a weekly spreadsheet to see what my times are. I knocked about 20 minutes of my 30miles time. But that was more wind than me being amazing.
  • Cycling on ya tod can be pretty fun. Generally i cycle on my own, with my ipod blasting in my ears (at a level i can safely hear traffic) I find cycling on my own keeps me motivated, i can go where ever i want, when i want at the pace i want. Its nice to come across a fellow roadie and give them a wave.

Cycling in a group is fun though, as you can take turns up the front it feels like a mini TDF. However the best feeling and the best thing about cycling on your own IMO is chasing down other roadies. If i see one in the distance i try to catch up with them like im trying to bring back the attacking pack lol its a nice challenge, just a shame when i do eventually catch up im blowing out my arsehole and they get away again :(

PS: welcome to the forum
  • I haven't tried yet to catch anybody, well except some old Grannie. I get overtaken quite a lot : )
  • tomisitt wrote:
    FWIW, I'm with BowtomePhil on this one. I too prefer my cycling to be a primarily solitary thing. Just me, the bike, the road, the elements, the scenery, and my thoughts. I don't want to join a club (Groucho Marx had it right) and go on Sunday runs. I don’t want to be part of a merchant-banker chain-gang “training” at the weekends. I don't want to spend four hours on a Sunday morning looking at some other bloke's ars* from a distance of four feet. And I certainly don't want to spend time around people like NewTTer.

On the few occasions I've been out on group rides I found the unspoken macho competitive element rather tedious, so prefer my view of the countryside to be unencumbered by slightly overweight stockbrokers in garish "team" kit turning themselves inside-out to prove that they're fitter and faster than me. So I ride along, sometimes fast, sometimes slow, going where I want, when I want, without having to worry about anyone else. If I want to keep going, I do. If I want to turn around and go home, I do. When I'm on my bike, it's "me time". I always return in a better mood than when I left, and with a smile on my face (except for that time when I got doored, when I returned home with blood on my face and a few loose teeth).

Yep, that about sums up my feelings. Nice one.
    “If you do what always do, you'll get what you always get.”
  • I have recently come across to road biking from MTB's with a view to losing weight. On that score it is working, and I have dropped 7lbs in the last 7 days (being massively overweight in the first place at 20st 11lbs, now 20st 4lbs, although 6.3). I have ridden to work everyday which is an 8 mile ride, mostly flat, but with 350ft of climbing. I also rode with my girlfriend last weekend who is a triathlete and a serious cyclist. I know which I enjoyed more. We went on a 20 mile loop, where she kept up an average of 18mph, which was her holding back, and at points I was convinced I was going to have a heart attack.

My run to work is brilliant. I have three strava segiments where I go for it, and the rest I just take at a speed I feel happy, taking in the world around me. I get to work feeling happy and positive. I am going for another loop with my girlfriend tomorrow, although we (she) are upping it to 30 miles, and quite frankly I would prefer stick needles in my eyes. She goes at a pace which is too much for me, but is holding her back, so there are several levels I feel guilty. I watch her ass in lycra infront of me (which is not unpleasent) but find myself wishing that she suddenly has a slight pull. Roll on monday and viva solo riding.
  • I have recently come across to road biking from MTB's with a view to losing weight. On that score it is working, and I have dropped 7lbs in the last 7 days (being massively overweight in the first place at 20st 11lbs, now 20st 4lbs, although 6.3). I have ridden to work everyday which is an 8 mile ride, mostly flat, but with 350ft of climbing. I also rode with my girlfriend last weekend who is a triathlete and a serious cyclist. I know which I enjoyed more. We went on a 20 mile loop, where she kept up an average of 18mph, which was her holding back, and at points I was convinced I was going to have a heart attack.

My run to work is brilliant. I have three strava segiments where I go for it, and the rest I just take at a speed I feel happy, taking in the world around me. I get to work feeling happy and positive. I am going for another loop with my girlfriend tomorrow, although we (she) are upping it to 30 miles, and quite frankly I would prefer stick needles in my eyes. She goes at a pace which is too much for me, but is holding her back, so there are several levels I feel guilty. I watch her ass in lycra infront of me (which is not unpleasent) but find myself wishing that she suddenly has a slight pull. Roll on monday and viva solo riding.

Good on you, keep it up, 18mph average is fast
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Averages don't mean much as it depends greatly on the roads/course taken and the weather. Add in hills and I bet it wouldn't be near 18.
  • Just seen this thread. Another mainly solo cyclist here. I much prefer to be out on my own. I can't see me ever joining a club, but then I've never been a clubbable bloke.
    By the way BowtomePhil, these are some of the sanest posts I've seen on here for a while!
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Quite often bump into my local club on their cake stop and they seem like a great bunch
  • Just did a 50 miler, my first ever(and probably my last).

God knows how some people can do 100 miles a day 3 days running.

It was hot, legs felt good, nobody at home to miss me, wife was working, so I just kept going and going. 12 miles to go on the way back I felt tired, but then last 5 was easy.

Lovely countryside also, I am amazed at how much countryside there actually is.

Got overtaken a lot, but I was just chilling.

I even sorted out the UK's problem with foreign criminals, deport them and never let them back. (same as USA)

Best advice I can give is not to give up now. The first 50 is always going to be the hardest.
    I have done 6 rides of 50 mile or over now and it does get easier, much easier.
    I did my 50 mile route this morning and beat my PB by 0.6mph ave and finished barely out of breath (comparatively).
    No collapsing on the floor, no crying, no asking Mrs Potatoes to bring the bike in, Just a bacon Sarnie and a power nap :wink:

BowtomePhil you need to MTFU. Get out there and do it again :)
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • I ride alone and have done so for about 6 months building up to 50miles after starting at about 8, with a couple of big climbs. I like being able to ride to my own agenda but on the odd occasion when I've tagged onto others it's fun and motivating to have someone to chase. I've always been weary of being the slow guy who holds everyone up but hopefully I'm fit enough to not be a burden.

Best advice I can give is not to give up now. The first 50 is always going to be the hardest.
    I have done 6 rides of 50 mile or over now and it does get easier, much easier.
    I did my 50 mile route this morning and beat my PB by 0.6mph ave and finished barely out of breath (comparatively).
    No collapsing on the floor, no crying, no asking Mrs Potatoes to bring the bike in, Just a bacon Sarnie and a power nap :wink:

BowtomePhil you need to MTFU. Get out there and do it again :)

Yes Sir !! <Salutes>
  • awsm
    awsm Posts: 210
    Good job on the 50. Quite often I ponder to myself mid way through a century that I must be bad putting myself through this. But a few days later once rested and recovered I look back only with fond memories and a strong sense of achievement.

Then I go and do it again. And the cycle repeats. :wink:
  • awsm wrote:
    Good job on the 50. Quite often I ponder to myself mid way through a century that I must be bad putting myself through this. But a few days later once rested and recovered I look back only with fond memories and a strong sense of achievement.

Then I go and do it again. And the cycle repeats. :wink:

Nice one

I did 25 today and felt real strong, beat 3 of my previous best times without trying.

Saw a road race and the peloton(about 60+) even had a car at the front and car behind keeping the road clear.

And nearly got knocked off by a horse on the opposite side of the road.
  • Full on loner here too.Shift work means that routines,weekends etc. are alien to me,I ride when I can.
    I have never been in a club,entered a competition or even set off from home to meet other riders.I agree with the OP's sentiment that doing your own thing has many advantages(when to stop?which way?how fast?)
    Fellow cyclists,dog walkers,joggers etc. mean there's often folk to exchange pleasantries with.

I sometimes wink at cows,the friendly ones wink back.
  • An interesting OP which I can relate to. I also tend to ride solo, even though my father rides too, but with families, work and other priorities I tend to just "nip out" for a few miles when I can. Endomondo is a good app, I got the premium version on offer, so no adds, although I've just upgraded to a bike gps to free up the phone battery.

50 miles is a good ride, regardless of your speed... my biggest problem is pacing myself as I can't help but try to go too fast to soon, so credit to you for achieving it alone.

Most of all, keep having fun, and welcome aboard

Oh, and congrats on the weight loss... feels good doesn't it :)
    Still trying to convince the missus of the n+1 rule...!

God knows how some people can do 100 miles a day 3 days running.

It was hot, legs felt good, nobody at home to miss me, wife was working, so I just kept going and going. 12 miles to go on the way back I felt tired, but then last 5 was easy.

Lovely countryside also, I am amazed at how much countryside there actually is.

Got overtaken a lot, but I was just chilling.

I even sorted out the UK's problem with foreign criminals, deport them and never let them back. (same as USA)
    hi phil, if your legs hurt after the 50 miler put the shower on cold and rise ya legs, works wonders mate, im up to 120 miles a week now, few 20 milers and one 60 miler a week, also a loner but as i do triathlons i had to get used to it, and as it turns out i like my own company!!! keep up the good work fella
  • I did 25 today and felt real strong, beat 3 of my previous best times without trying.

That's what I found, you do your longest ride and think gah, why did I do that, but then you go out next time and do what was a long ride to you a while ago and it's the easiest thing in the world. A proper 'big' ride for me used to be 20 miles, maybe 30, now it's 30 miles for a normal ride, I did my first metric century last week and now planning to aim for at least one 100km ride a month, and work up to some longer ones.

Overall aim is to be able to do 100 miles. Don't know how long it will take me to work up to that though, 100km was quite tough but hopefully the next one will be easier :)