A cycling Loner (long don't read if no stamina)

BowtomePhil
BowtomePhil Posts: 198
edited September 2012 in Road general
HI, I am new to the forums.

I am 48 and a cycling loner.

Let me explain: (skip the rest if I have already bored you, I bore the wife a lot even during you know what)

I was 16 stone 4 pounds and walking upstairs used to make me out of breath. I thought this is silly I need to lose weight. So as I had a cheap mountain bike(£60 brand new) I thought I would cut down on coke, donuts, crisps etc and would cycle to get bit fitter at the same time. Well to say cycling on the roads with some weird suspension system was hard is an understatement. But I perserveered and then bought a road bike and did the same route 15 minutes quicker. I only really did 10-15 miles at a time. Then had to change jobs and started working in London and stopped cycling for a while.

Anyway back cycling now, got a new bike through the ride to work scheme, saves a lot of money. I am now trying to increase the distance I do, no real reason other than to say I have done it, up to 25 miles minimum per weekend cycle, 10 during the week after work. I am up to 42 miles in one go now, aiming for the 50 and see what happens after that.

Why do I cycle? To keep fit and lose weight, no other reason, I don't want to do TT's etc. To be honest everybody overtakes me on the roads with a "Good morning", I mumble to myself "FFS" after saying "Good morning" back. Saying that though I have overtaken a granny on a shopper bike And a man and his 3 year old on his tricycle.

Why am I a loner? Because I can go at whatever pace I want, I can stop when I like, I can change routes when I want and change distances when I want. I have been out twice with a friend, but he is so much quicker than me, I feel like I am ruining his workout.

When I upgraded my bike recently I kept my old road bike for my son's(13 and 23) in case they ever want to come out.
My eldest has now been out twice, that is nice.

He did say to me, that as we were doing 20 miles, he would ride with me the 10 and when we turned round he would speed off to see how quick he could get home. I said okay and when we turned he sped off. I do my usual slow paced steady Eddy riding and caught him up 10 minutes later as he had burnt himself out. That was enjoyable : )

Anyway I enjoy being a loner, enjoy my cycling, enjoy slow speeds, enjoy my 20mph on a flat road with wind behind and enjoy when my son comes out, but best of all I love being in the countryside, love talking to myself for 3 hours and now it is all about keeping fit, losing more weight(Down to 14 stone 6 pounds now) and just enjoying riding.

P.s if anybody wants to add me on endomondo app , PM me and we can compare stats, but, bear in mind, I like distance not speed : )

Sorry to all those I bored, or fell asleep half way through(Again wife inference)

Comments

• NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    So if you so enjoy being a loner for all the reasons you have stated, why come on here to share? Just carry on being on your own doing your own thing!
    Oh and concentrate a little more with the Wife or it will end in tears
  • This is a forum to talk about cycling. Where did I say that I don't like talking about it to fellow cyclists?

I work with some serious cyclists and like talking, I like cycling with my son and mate, I just prefer alone for reasons stated.

So as I cycle alone, does that mean I can't post on these forums?

Sorry never knew that.
  • Wunnunda
    Wunnunda Posts: 214
    .....He did say to me, that as we were doing 20 miles, he would ride with me the 10 and when we turned round he would speed off to see how quick he could get home. I said okay and when we turned he sped off. I do my usual slow paced steady Eddy riding and caught him up 10 minutes later as he had burnt himself out. That was enjoyable : )

Like (and can identify with) this :D
  • Of course you can post on here, only an idiot would think that it is the exclusive use of any specific type of cyclists.

I read your post and enjoyed it very much, it warms my soul to see people enjoying cycling for the simple pleasure of it, as I do!

You only have to look at all of the different categories on BR to understand how many people cycle for different reasons and hopefully they all enjoy their hobby as much as you do.

Road cycling is fun and so is talking/writing/sharing about it so keep up the good work.
  • NewTTer
    This is a forum to talk about cycling. Where did I say that I don't like talking about it to fellow cyclists?

I work with some serious cyclists and like talking, I like cycling with my son and mate, I just prefer alone for reasons stated.

Sorry never knew that.
    FFS Get over yourself
  • where did they put that ignore button?
  • It's okay , I read the BF3 forums, he is quite tame compared to that lot.
  • Toe knee
    Toe knee Posts: 525
    FFS, new tit ere find another forum to join, no wounder newbies don't come on here.
    Nice tale bowtomephil, and welcome to the forum. :D
  • Welcome to the forum bowtomephil

From another cycling loner ;)
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • tomisitt
    tomisitt Posts: 257
    FWIW, I'm with BowtomePhil on this one. I too prefer my cycling to be a primarily solitary thing. Just me, the bike, the road, the elements, the scenery, and my thoughts. I don't want to join a club (Groucho Marx had it right) and go on Sunday runs. I don’t want to be part of a merchant-banker chain-gang “training” at the weekends. I don't want to spend four hours on a Sunday morning looking at some other bloke's arse from a distance of four feet. And I certainly don't want to spend time around people like NewTTer.

On the few occasions I've been out on group rides I found the unspoken macho competitive element rather tedious, so prefer my view of the countryside to be unencumbered by slightly overweight stockbrokers in garish "team" kit turning themselves inside-out to prove that they're fitter and faster than me. So I ride along, sometimes fast, sometimes slow, going where I want, when I want, without having to worry about anyone else. If I want to keep going, I do. If I want to turn around and go home, I do. When I'm on my bike, it's "me time". I always return in a better mood than when I left, and with a smile on my face (except for that time when I got doored, when I returned home with blood on my face and a few loose teeth).
  • I enjoy the company of cyclists but not when I'm riding my bike. I entirely agree with the O P cycling, for me, is a solitary pursuit. Fortunately, the 40+ Cycling Group that I belong to has an arrangement where we meet at a pub/cafe for lunch. We can arrive as we wish, some turn up in groups, many of us choose to ride singly, ideal.

Cycling can be a 'broad church' and accommodate all.
    'fool'
  • houndlegs
    houndlegs Posts: 267
    So the general consensus is,welcome to the forum bowtomephil,and newTTer is a bit of a nob.
  • ELPTX51
    ELPTX51 Posts: 8
    I think each of us has a slightly different draw to cycling, which is one of the things that makes forums like these so interesting. That and the wealth of information from all of those points of view. I am also a bit of a loner on my bike but I'm considering joing the local cycle club to learn the ways of group riding. My goal is to do a century ride next year and the group riding technique is a little daunting at my newbie road cyclist stage.
  • Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424
    I do almost all my cycling alone, and really like the opportunity to be on my own. I have a busy family life and a hectic job and cycling has become a space away from all that. I've also dropped a fair bit of wait. I try to do everything as fast as I can though, and one of my main motivations is a determination to get faster.
  • houndlegs wrote:
    So the general consensus is,welcome to the forum bowtomephil,and newTTer is a bit of a doorknob.

+1,000,000
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Have you talked to your doctor? If you've been unfit for a while you need to get checked out. For example if you have a cardiac risk then cycling could bring on a heart attack. Not trying to scare you, but worth getting checked out
  • Enjoyable read thanks for sharing. The bragging rights of cycling in the family are definitely yours ;-)

Did newTTer say something? Get a grip.
  • NewTTer wrote:
    FFS Get over yourself

You make me feel like maybe I should be a bit ashamed that I'm from Leigh.

To the OP, I'm with you. I started riding with a few friends who no longer ride, and while I do miss the company sometimes and I'm glad my dad's just about to take it up (he picks up his bike tomorrow) I wouldn't give up my solo rides for the world.

I think everything through when I'm out. Life, work, relationships, counting lamp posts, singing to myself inside my head (maybe out loud sometimes), trying to beat times, ignoring times... It's nice to get out of the world for a couple of hours on your own at your own pace.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Completely understand the OP's outlook here. I also love just going out myself with my own agenda and will continue to do so for as long as I can ride my bike. I have also joined a club recently just to try and push myself once a week on their Sunday club run. I am not interested in racing or competing, the Sunday ride is purely a social ride with cafe stop etc. Best of both worlds is what I am aiming to achieve really.
    More importantly, for me, my 15 year old son has recently expressed an interest in 'having a go' of my second road bike. We are off to Pitlochry for a weekend and the plan is for me to ride the Etape course again (it's personal, I want to exercise some demons from the event in May). My wife and son will join me for lunch and then me and my lad will ride a bit of the course together. I can't tell you how much that pleases me and how much I am looking forward to it :D

Cheers
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • diy wrote:
    Have you talked to your doctor? If you've been unfit for a while you need to get checked out. For example if you have a cardiac risk then cycling could bring on a heart attack. Not trying to scare you, but worth getting checked out

Do you mean me?

If so, I got checked out last year, got on the treadmill where they wire you up and try and kill you. Well try and enduce Angina, which in fact nearly killed me as my knees hurt. I have thankfully no heart issues. I do have dodgy knees and have learnt that running is not a sport that I will ever do for fitness or fun.
  • Thanks to all for the nice replies, well all except one.

Nice to see that it isn't just a me thing about cycling alone.

If you don't have the app, try endomondo, it is a great app. Although not trying to, I find weekly I beat something, how far in an hour, fastest 3 miles, fastest marathon etc. You will also be suprised how much some people actually cycle a month, there is one guy in germany who does about 2500 a month every month. There is one 66 year old in Florida who does about 2000+ a month and recently did 100 miles a day 3 days running. Not sure the wife would like me to be out 7 hours riding at the weekend, I already run a football team (u14) and train Saturday mornings and we play games Sunday afternoons.

http://endomondo.com/
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    Welcome to the forum, just ignore the forum trolls, we have a few - there's a Friend/Foe system in place that allows you to ignore pillocks, it's under your account options :) Spent 5 years browsing the Warcraft forums and the trolls here are tame compared to that lot, heh.

Had a look at Endomondo and it's seemingly full of 'buy premium' ads now, so I'll stick to Strava until they screw that up (which I'm in no doubt they will). Keep riding and enjoying it your way :)
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    'Nother solitary rider here. I'm a grumpy antisocial git anyway, and simply prefer my own company. Like the OP, I really value the freedom to go where / when / how fast or slow I like. Occasionally I wonder if I'd enjoy a sunday club run / cafe stop type thing, but I know if I join a club there'll be someone who gets on my tits and I'll stop turning up after 3 weeks.
  • It is the speed that stops me joining a club, they would put me in with the 12-13 year olds, and I know how annoying they can be. (my youngest is 13)
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    Local clarion to me have slower rides, usually averaging around 12-15mph. Try asking around, never know.

• You make me feel like maybe I should be a bit ashamed that I'm from Leigh.

But on the plus side there are some nice hills :wink:

I think everything through when I'm out. Life, work, relationships, counting lamp posts, singing to myself inside my head (maybe out loud sometimes), trying to beat times, ignoring times... It's nice to get out of the world for a couple of hours on your own at your own pace.

Yep. All of this. I love the sunrise on Sunday long rides best of all :)
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • smashed
    smashed Posts: 100
    NewTTer wrote:
    This is a forum to talk about cycling. Where did I say that I don't like talking about it to fellow cyclists?

Sorry never knew that.
    FFS Get over yourself

search.php?author_id=557558&sr=posts

A lovely collection of juvenile posts.. :roll:
  • daveski12
    daveski12 Posts: 158
    I'm on Endomondo and I like it, especially the challenges. Only recently changed to be full of adverts which is a shame but they're easily ignored. I export my rides and upload them into Strava too, purely for the segments.

I do most of my cycling alone but do enjoy being part of a group. Occsionally I'll commute in with a couple of others and I'm always much faster then. I've been on a couple of club steady runs now too, did my first 100km last weekend with the club which was a nice experience.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Me pretty solitary too. In a fairly rural area so have to be. Clubs are there but quite a distance away so would have to drive with my bike a long way to get to them. Done it once and was ok. Would be quite happy to ride with others if they were near me. Have done a few sportives and usually get gassing to someone on the way round
  • NewTTer
    But on the plus side there are some nice hills :wink:

Do you think so? All a bit short I thought, though Essex Way and Vicarage Hill are good for training but they are Benfleet, but close enough I guess