Allez / Allez Sport - much difference?

snipsnap
snipsnap Posts: 259
edited August 2012 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

after much deliberating and consideration, I've set heart on getting a Spesh Allez as first road bike (have a Spesh MTB also).

The 2013 range is just coming into stock, but see the basic Allez compact no longer has carbon forks and has 2300 Shimano shifters.

My local LBS informed me that the 2013 Sport version retains the carbon forks, so is worth the extra. It's quite a chunk of cash though, which could be better spent on kit if i'm not going to notice much difference.

I'm a firm believer in 'you get what you pay for' and have deliberated over the Merlin range, but decided on the Allez as it seems to be a very popular place to start. I'm willing to spend the extra if it's worth it!

Does anyone have an opinion on if it is worth that extra investment? Advice please..........

Comments

• Simon_H
    Simon_H Posts: 8
    I bought the 2012 allez ( for the wife ), and what is only right and proper bought the allez elite as a winter trainer :D , big difference between the 2, the difference between the lower end 2300 shimano and the mid level tiagra is huge, with a big difference in weight and therewfore handling. So unless you are desperate for the latest 2013 version, in my humble opinion the 2011 was / is better value ( if you can still find them ), the 2012 allez elite is a very nice bike, and should be discounted now to a similar price range?, do like the paintwork of the 2013 though

PS this was also my first roady ( got 2 spesh road bikes now!!!! ), after being a spesh MTB fan. Beware......... you will be dragged over to the dark side :lol:
  • snipsnap
    thanks for the quick advice - i was trying for a 2012 allez but cant find stock anywhere.

if anyone knows of any bargains out there - shout!
  • snipsnap
    Cheers.....need a 58 though! D'oh!

had a look at 2012 sport in Harry Halls, great bike but not a fan of the thumb shift for gear changes.

the 2013 model has a new sora set that has done away with these.

looks like that is that then!

allez sport 2013 it is!