New frame - focus? felt? other?

clunkychunky
clunkychunky Posts: 178
edited August 2012 in Road buying advice
Evening all

Decided to treat myself and get a nice new carbon frame for the big 30 next month.

Have a limited budget of £600-700, so was looking for recommendations on framesets.

Would love a focus but i can't seem to find a frameset only. Seems you have to buy the entire bike.
Does anyone know of any shops which do sell the frames?

Is the only other choice ribble? or one of those frames direct from china?
do any of the big manufacturers (trek, spesh, felt, cannondale etc) sell frames only?

how good are the ribble frames? how long are their warranties?

many thanks for any advice

:)

Comments

• Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    You can't get Focus frames but i managed to get one secondhand, personally i'd have a look at the Canyon website because they sell the frames.
  • Bozman wrote:
    You can't get Focus frames but i managed to get one secondhand, personally i'd have a look at the Canyon website because they sell the frames.

Thanks for the reply.

The Canyons look lush but unfortunately they are all out of my price range.
    Limit is £700 max unfortunately.
    Really want the frame to be carbon as well.

Have looked at boardmans, but again seem you can only buy the full bikes, apart from the air 9.8 (again out of price range).

Guess it may well have to be a ribble or china job.

Why don't more manufacturers offer framesets only? :(
  • velohutts
    velohutts Posts: 288
    If you have a LBS nearby that does some good brands , they will be looking at clearing some of last years colours , got my argon 18 at about 3/4 of the price for the frame & forks.
    Good luck with the hunt , VH.
    Enigma Esprit Di2 - Go tI ! Summer !
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015

2 years - I've made use of the frame warranty at 18 months or so and they were fine.

Frames good as well. Mind you, £700 is getting close to complete carbon bike money at Ribble!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:

2 years - I've made use of the frame warranty at 18 months or so and they were fine.

Frames good as well. Mind you, £700 is getting close to complete carbon bike money at Ribble!

can i ask which frame do you have?

i do quite like the stealth. Have been reading a thread on the forum about the china frames and the stealth is discussed as being the same frame as one from carbonzone (which also has a 2 year warranty). saying that, think i would prefer to buy with a uk supplier in the event that i ever need to claim on warranty.
  • velohutts
    if you have an e bay account there is a de rosa on there for your money dependent on size you want or whether you want to buy new for the warranty.
  • calmx5
    calmx5 Posts: 230
    velohutts wrote:
    if you have an e bay account there is a de rosa on there for your money dependent on size you want or whether you want to buy new for the warranty.
    Link please?!?!
  • velohutts
    if i could do a link i would !!!!! if not go to e bay , put de rosa in the search and a f&f is on the 1st page for 700 buy it now.

anyone more efficent with computers who could do a link ?