Mekk 2G Poggio v Ribble Evo Pro Carbon

paulmardon
paulmardon Posts: 21
edited August 2012 in Road buying advice
Anybody have any thoughts on which bike is the best one to buy at under £1k. The 2G Mekk with Tiagra/105 mix and R500 wheels or Ribble's EVo Pro Carbon Summer special with full 105 and Mavic Askim wheels. My thoughts are both are very good 'value for money' but on spec the Ribble wins. Comments welcome or thoughts on any other bikes I should be thinking of.

Comments

• gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    I would get the Ribble.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Why the Ribble?
  • gabriel959
    Similar bottom of the range carbon frame but better spec that is why.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • houndlegs
    houndlegs Posts: 267
    I had a test ride on the mekk a while back and was very pleased with it.
    Didn't buy it though :D got swayed by another bike ,and had to part with more cash again lol.
  • Thanks. You mention bottom end carbon frame and I get that. Do you think I would be better off with a alloy frame with decent spec (CAAD8 or 10, Defy 1 or Boardman Team) if all I want is to commute to work 25 miles round trip and put in the odd 30 - 50 miler now and again to keep fit rather do anything serious. Again, thoughts welcome.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Put your money in a decent frame, regardless of what people say aluminium frames are still pretty harsh and unforgiving in comparison to carbon
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    paulmardon wrote:
    Thanks. You mention bottom end carbon frame and I get that.

I don't. I have a bottomish end frame (Ribble Gran Fondo) and a top endish frame (Look 585). The Look is better but the difference isn't really so great. I love owning the Ribble because it makes the Look feel even better yet I still find the Ribble a terrific bike to own and ride. Put it this way - I never find myself regretting not being on the Look though I do find myself being particularly happy that I am on the Look!

I think what I'm saying is that I don't think that 'bottom end carbon' should be regarded as anything other than the most intelligent way to spend your money on a frame. You pay a fraction of the price and get something that is 90% as good. There no doubt are some duffers but read reviews of current PX, Ribbles and other bargain frames and you'll see a lot of high scores.

I am biased though. I find alloy frames somehow soulless and if I go metal it will probably always be to steel. Though I concede that Liquigas Caads look nice!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • shane r
    shane r Posts: 326
    paulmardon wrote:
    Though I concede that Liquigas Caads look nice!

...and can be had for a mere £999.99 at Westbrook at the moment
    Coupla Road Bikes
  • gabriel959
    When I was referring at bottom of the range carbon frames I was referring at the fibers used and weights specifically.
    I wasn't saying they were bad frames, I was just stating that they were the cheapest, as Rolf F says, that doesn't mean they aren't almost as good as the others though.

CAAD frames are amazingly light, well engineered, have a lifetime warranty but they are a bit harsh and the geo is quite aggressive. I like it that way but some people don't.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x