New Bike Advice Please!

christeefur
christeefur Posts: 15
edited August 2012 in Road buying advice
Hi there,

I am new here and new to cycling and looking for my first road bike purchase.
Budget, well theres a thing I guess I can go upto around £700, although I only want to sepnd that if its markedly better than anyting else.
I have taken a look on ebay but it seems that bikes hold a pretty good premium at the moment, and so the bargains aren't there, but I am also a bit nervous of picking something up that isn't in great condition and spending lots of time getting it sorted out. So with that in mind I guess that I want a new bike.
I was offered a Cannondale Synapse 105 for £799 - which seemed like a good choice, but riding it well I wasn't exactly blown away(maybe i have high expectations, possibly the frame size (56) and I am 183 tall).
Now given my lack of experience when offered this bike I guess the salesman was making a big thing of the 105 groupset, my honest impression was that I wouldn't notice the difference at the moment as it more likely my inefficeincies that are laid bare before the equipment!
So essentially I am after the best building block to start from. So if I want to upgrade I am not starting with a frame which is limited.
I have read good things about Forme Bikes, similarly with Giant, Specialized trek etc. Which brings me to the final point. Forme Longcliffe 4, for £375. So lots under budget, which gives me cash to placate my wife, a weekend away and grab a couple of beers, or to upgrade the components as I improve.

Let me know your thoughts...

Cheers

Christeefur!

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    All you'll end up doing is upgrading the Forme to a 105 groupset anyway and considering that you're starting with a frame that doesn't hold a candle to the Synapse I'd say no.

Check out the classifieds, there's loads in your size from a couple full carbon Planet X, to a Trek 2100.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg