Upgrade from R540 to Dura Ace Pedals or not?

siamon
siamon Posts: 274
edited August 2012 in Road buying advice
I have bottom of the range R540 Shimano pedals on my Giant TCR Advanced SL with which I have no problem whatsoever. However, I have recently developed an urge to splurge £140 on some Dura Ace pedals to match the full 7900 Dura Ace group set. The R540's are worn and need replacing, other than looking the business, will there be any noticeable benefits from upgrading to Dura Ace pedals?

Comments

• You will be lighter....by £140 :)
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    if theres an urge - splurge :D just don't expect a massive difference.

maybe they will last longer though but not sure if they will last 3x as long as r540s
  • Where have you spotted them for £140?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,166
    No difference... they might last longer, but you only need to go up one notch to 105 for that.
    left the forum March 2023
  • EarlyGo
    EarlyGo Posts: 281
    You will save a total of 98g. They do look nicer though! Additionally all the SPD-SLs from 105 upwards have a wider foot plate than the R540. I agree with ugo.santalucia and think that for 'bang per buck' 105 are the best value. If the rest of your groupset is Dura Ace though, then R540 pedals are going to look out of place. Why not 105 at £44 or Ultegra at £79 from Wiggle in the sexy grey colour?

Regards, EarlyGo
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    My theory on componets (which may well be complete b@ll@cks...) is to spend on transmission of power to the ground. That means frame, crank, pedals, shoes, wheels and tyres. My logic is I want every ounce of effort I put in to translate to forward motion. Comfort is also a plus as I'd like to keep going for a while.

Admittedly this is most of the bike but my logic means I'd rather spend cash upgrading pedals than cassette for instance (unless there was a hefty weight advantage).
  • siamon
    Where have you spotted them for £140?

Here:

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/a32059 ... =en&cr=GBP
  • siamon
    Appreciate the sensible advice, but I like Stueys logic. And the problem with the 540's is the plastic plate has worn away in about 2000 miles which, quite frankly, is a bit tom tit. They lasted less than the GP4000s.
  • ugo.santalucia
    siamon wrote:
    Appreciate the sensible advice, but I like Stueys logic. And the problem with the 540's is the plastic plate has worn away in about 2000 miles which, quite frankly, is a bit tom tit. They lasted less than the GP4000s.

Then if you are not looking for advice but only for support, I'd say go for them...
  • siamon
    siamon wrote:

Then if you are not looking for advice but only for support, I'd say go for them...

Then I can moan about how the marketing assurances of a more stable platform, greater stability and response was a load of bull and how you were right in the first place :idea:
  • ugo.santalucia
    siamon wrote:
    siamon wrote:

Then I can moan about how the marketing assurances of a more stable platform, greater stability and response was a load of bull and how you were right in the first place :idea:

Exactly... you know that Dura Ace, Record, Chris King, Rapha and Assos have to be impulse buy... you know already somebody will argue that there is something just as good and three times cheaper... so just buy it and pretend it was a gift...
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    I've just upgraded from some fairly old R540s to the 105 PD-5700s. They feel a lot nicer, more solid, positive binding when clipped in, wider platform etc etc.

Can't say about the DA's but people don't seem to think they're much of an improvement over the 105s and that's a hell of a price hike.
  • What about the carbon Ultegra pedals? Might satisfy your urge to blow some cash on something bling but quite a lot less at £90:

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/PES ... bon_pedals