Beginner fixing up and old bike (or at least trying to)

tmsjns
tmsjns Posts: 54
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I hve an old claud butler pinetrail a a spare bike and I want to fix it up so I can learn about bikes but Im a bit stuck with the forks, Theres a bit of play in them an the bike hop said they need replacing soon, They have 130mm of travel so does that mean that I can replace them with any fork with the same travel?

More questions to follow!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Pinetrails never had 130mm travel forks - are you sure? What is the model?
  • tmsjns
    here a link, aparantly they are rst launch forks
    http://m.evanscycles.com/products/claud ... e-ec018792
  • supersonic
    Ah, they did have 130mm forks that year, very unusual!

You will need a disc specific, 100-130mm fork with standard QR dropouts and a 1 1/8th inch steerer.
  • tmsjns
    supersonic wrote:
    Ah, they did have 130mm forks that year, very unusual!

You will need a disc specific, 100-130mm fork with standard QR dropouts and a 1 1/8th inch steerer.

Now that where it get confusing!? Are the original gorks any good would it be worth replacing them with the same forks but in better condition?

Otherwise could anyone suggest a decent fork that would fit?

Oh and I have bought new brakes, And the rotors are 180 at the front instead of 160 will they fit ok?
  • supersonic
    The forks are ok, tough. if they are not letting you down I'd keep them.

Bigger rotors need bigger adaptors - they might come with them though, will have to check the details.
  • tmsjns
    Thank you for all your help supersonic!
    I have some elixir 7's on the way so Im going to attach themto my new cube analog disc (hopefully) then the shimano br m445 off the cube onto my old pinetrail! If it all fits.

One last question for now though! My hubs makig a hell of a noise! I started after I replaced the read cassette and ending up tightening it (a LOT) before figuring out I needed a chain whip to hold it in place. Anyway its making a really loud clicking noise so if i replace the rear hub will this fix the noise? If so what size would i need to where do I measure on mine to find out? I know its a 33 hole but there are soo many hubs about, I just want a quiet one!
  • supersonic
    To tighten a cassette, you don't need a chain whip - only to remove it. many make noise lol, is quite normal. You can't just replace the hub though.
  • tmsjns
    supersonic wrote:
    To tighten a cassette, you don't need a chain whip - only to remove it. many make noise lol, is quite normal. You can't just replace the hub though.

I know that! I didnt before when I was trying to get the old cassette off, I tightened it too much before figuring out I was turning it the wrong way!
    So what can I do to stop the noise, It wasnt that noisy before I replaced the cassette!
  • supersonic
    Depends what the noise is, is it when just freewheeling?
  • tmsjns
    supersonic wrote:
    Depends what the noise is, is it when just freewheeling?

Yeah just when freewheeling, Its was a nice gentle ticking before but not its a harsh clicking noise! Do you rhink its the freewheeling hub bit? Are they hard to replace?
  • supersonic
    You need to remove the axle, bearings, then use a big allen key (normally) to remove, then replace with a compatible model. Need to find out the hub model.

I'd just leave it though, if it works, it works! they often get louder as the grease loosens.