Shimano 105 5600 10speed chains

dee4life2005
dee4life2005 Posts: 773
edited August 2012 in Workshop
My old bike had a 9 speed KMC chain with a missing link, which made it easy to clean the chain properly by removing it from the bike.

My new bike has a Shimano 105 5600 10-speed chain, and as it's OEM it doesn't have a missing or master link (that I can tell). I did notice one pin that is different to all the rest though - is this where you'd break the chain ? Can you safely rejoin a shimano chain using the appropriate 10 speed KMC missing link, or do you have to rejoin using special shimano replacement pins ?

Comments

• vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    My old bike had a 9 speed KMC chain with a missing link, which made it easy to clean the chain properly by removing it from the bike.

My new bike has a Shimano 105 5600 10-speed chain, and as it's OEM it doesn't have a missing or master link (that I can tell). I did notice one pin that is different to all the rest though - is this where you'd break the chain ? Can you safely rejoin a shimano chain using the appropriate 10 speed KMC missing link, or do you have to rejoin using special shimano replacement pins ?

The pin that's different - yes probably this is the special joining link
    Can you use a KMC missing link? - probably, although it might be worth checking the exact width of the two chains

There are lots of types of joining links. I prefer the connex wipperman ones for 10 speed
  • Papa Ado
    Papa Ado Posts: 76
    The special pin that you see on your CN5600 chain is where the chain was originally joined at the assembler; therefore, this pin is not machine riveted. You can break the chain here, but you must rejoin with a shimano break-away pin (very long that you insert and then break off the guide) or take out one link and use a KMC Missing Link.

You already know the benefits of the Missing Link ;)
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    10 speed KMC missing link is fine on that chain - I have one on mine. Just make sure you stick to KMC or Wipperman - the SRAM PowerLink 10 speed version is single use only, so doesn't help you remove the chain for maintenance!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • houndlegs
    houndlegs Posts: 267
    Don't take this as gospel,but I'm sure I can recall reading somewhere that you should NOT break the chain at the different pin.
  • I now have some of the correct KMC 10-speed missing links.

I did seem to recall reading somewhere, on here i think, not to break the chain at the "different" link, can't think why though unless it's the strongest link in the chain anyway. That's part of the reason why I posted this thread originally ...
  • Papa Ado
    Papa Ado Posts: 76
    houndlegs wrote:
    Don't take this as gospel,but I'm sure I can recall reading somewhere that you should NOT break the chain at the different pin.

You are correct. I'm mixing up our normal (PPO) and reinforced connecting pins (for narrow chains). Thank you for pointing this out.

From Shimano's Tech sheet on their pins:
    "...make the cut at some other place than the place where the chain has been joined using a reinforced connecting pin. The chain will be damaged if it is cut at a place where it has been joined with a reinforced connecting pin"