Adjusting Front Mech

nbuuifx
nbuuifx Posts: 302
edited September 2012 in Workshop
I need to tweak my front mech, it's a triple.

Currently going from small to medium then to the large cog works perfectly.

However when going back down the gears, I press the little lever to go down (8sp sora) but nothing happens it just stays in the big cog, I then press it again and it jumps straight down to the little cog, I then have to go back up to the middle cog.

Most of the time it doesn't bother me too much as I can remember to go down 2 and back up 1, but there are a couple of hilly bits where I need to go down the hill in the big gears, then drop to the middle cog to get up the fairly steep hill on the other side and it's taking me too long to change.

Anyway - what I wanted to ask is where you would start with adjustments to try and tweak this?

Comments

• woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    It's needing a thorough clean, especially inside the cable outer (from lever to derailleur). Flush it out with WD40 or renew. Give the spring a hard brush.
  • nbuuifx
    NIce easy place to start - I'll give that a try first

Thanks
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Particular attention to the cable guides under the bottom bracket. My rear shifter was wiped out at the weekend by cow dung! Eventually my pulling on the cable caused it to break resulting in my being stuck on the 14 tooth for the remaining 35 miles of rainy Yorkshire I had to do!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • nbuuifx
    This didn't work. Everything was quite clean really but I gave it all a good clean but it made no difference.

Testing I figured if it was a sticky cable or sticky spring that if I 'helped' the mech with my finger it would move over but it didn't - so I think that rules out it sticking?

I put the back wheel up on the turbo trainer to let me adjust a little. I only used the little barrel adjuster on the cable. I turned it clockwise which seemed to visually improve things, so kept turning until it would move down. (1.5 turns). I then tested the gear changes and was satisfied that it went up and down all three whilst in a variety of different gears on the rear.

Went for the first ride with it like this and it now changes down fine, but I struggle to move up from middle cog to large cog on the front! It will go just about but I have to really hold the lever at max push for about 20 seconds.

Any thoughts on what I should adjust?
  • Loosen the H limit screw to get the FD to push the chain out and over the big chainring.