MTB to Road

RamanSingh
RamanSingh Posts: 8
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
hey guys!,

as you can see im quite new to this bike stuff and just wanted to get some help and advice.

earlier this year i suffered a severe knee injury and have now begun my road to recovery. however my physico has advised me not to run due to impact on knees, therefore im getting back on my bike;

currently i have a erm.. Carrera Fury 08. from those 'good' old guys at halfords and am hoping to put change the tires to road. just until i can afford to buy a road bike. just wanted to know what kind of tire would be best or what i should be looking for and if its just as simple as taking the 'dirt' tire off and sticking the road tire on?

Thanks

RS

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Plenty of road biased tyres available for your Fury, Schwalbe city jet are the good budget option (£10-13 each), although there are faster rolling/more puncture resistant/lighter they will cost you a fair bit more.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I got a pair of Bronx 1.5 slicks off Woolyhatshop for my sisters bike. They arent light but roll well, have plenty of rubber in the sidewalls and only cost £16 delivered. When I fitted them I used Slime puncture resistant inner tubes and so far no punctures, whereas before she was getting at least 2 a week on her commute.

http://www.woollyhatshop.com/Tyres/26-Slick-Tyres/Bronx-26-x1-50-Slick-Sport-Bike-Road-Tyre/prod_2377.html
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • The Rookie
    My daughter had the Bronx, they are an effective budget tyre, but very heavy and quite slow rolling, personally I'd pay the small extra for the CJs which is what my daughter is now on, that or look for some used bargains like Spesh Nimbus or WTB slickasaurus.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jackmcd
    jackmcd Posts: 185
    I just bought two 26x2.00" Schwalbe Kojaks off ebay for £14 each - completely slick and take up to 70 psi - perfect for fast road on an mtb!

I had some 26" slicks in the shed - but at 1" they were too narrow for the rims I wanted to use...
  • thanks for the replies!.

im looking into getting the 'Schwalbe city jet' size is 26 but does it matter in regards to the diameter?
    just need to look at some inner tubes now but need to find out about diameter first.
  • The Rookie
    26 is the diameter! Width wise a 1.5" will fit the rims.
  • ahh!! okay.. sorry. thanks.

so if i go for Schwalbe city jet 26 x 1.5, would the inner tube need to be at a max of 1.5 or something like 2.5

thinking along the lines of this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Schwalbe-26X1-5-2-5-Tube-Schrader-AV13/dp/B000GQRU06/ref=pd_sim_sg_2 or am i a little wrong?...

sorry about the lame questions. the guys at halfords aren't much help according to them just stick a slick on the back and leave the MTB on the front.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It will be fine.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Personally I use Schwalbe 1.0-1.5 on my commuter as they are very lightweight and save another 80g over larger tubes, but those would be fine and you'd be able to use them in MTB tyres afterwards (although I use 1.0-1.5 tubes in my upto 2.2 MTB tyres to save weight, not everyone is comfortable with that).