new bike advice regarding spokes and other things...

musicville
musicville Posts: 29
edited August 2012 in Road buying advice
Good Evening All

I am completly new here and would like a little bit of advice from you.

I am looking to buy my 1st road bike and have narowed the options down to either a Giant Defy 1 or a Cannondale CAAD 10 105

Now i know the Cannondale is much better spec but i can currently get one for about £1000 my only concern and real reason for holding back on this is that i am not a light guy i currently weigh 14st 4lb and when reading around and discussing this with friends the general concensus is that the wheels on the Cannondale 10 would likley need replacing to prevent the spokes breaking whereas the giant defy 1 wouldnt. For reference the Cannondale are Shimano RS10

now if this i the case i will probably get the giant as my budget is about a grand and i couldnt get any wheels after that, or are they talking a load of tosh?

Thank you in advance any responses will be greatly appreciated

Mike

Comments

• Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    14st is not heavy. I would not worry about such things and get the bike which fits you and you like best. If it was me with that choice I'd be getting the Cannondale. It is widely described as the best aluminium frame in the sub £2k bracket. The only drawback with the cannondale might be its more aggressive geometry. AFAIK the Defy is a more sportive biased geo. Whatever you decide it wont be wrong so long as it fits.
  • ovi
    ovi Posts: 396
    Im over 15 st and my carbon giant holds up well to hard rides on old back lanes so don't worry about it and get the caad 10.
  • Calpol has just raised another good point that my LBS didnt and that is the geo on both bikes, really i want it to be able to do 4-6 h riding as we are planning touring spain and other countries in the next year plus i will be using it for 2-3 hour 2/3 times pw for training. will the Cadd 10 be to racy? and would i be better with the Defy or is there reall not much difference between them ?

Put simply i want something that i look forward to riding not dreading.

Sorry for all the newby questions just want to make sure i get it right that all !
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    It's important that you don't end up with a bike that makes you uncomfortable.

If I were you I'd definitely be looking for something with a taller head tube (aka "less aggressive geometry"). This has the effect of bringing the handlebars higher in relation to the saddle, arguably better for newbies/long distance riding/oldies like me.

Problem with modern bikes is that you can't raise the handlebars like the old style bikes - the max height is limited by the amount of steerer tube attached to the fork. In theory you could buy a new fork and cut off the steerer at a taller point, but it sounds like your budget is for an off-the-peg bike, so I'd say start looking at bikes with taller head tubes.

I'd probably seek out a bike shop and sit on a few bikes (doesn't matter what brand) and when you find a comfy one, note down measurements like head tube height, seat tube and top tube lengths. At least then you'll have a reference point for what is the geometry of a "comfy" bike, for you personally.

The real answer? Get a bike fit from a reputable shop.
  • GATES
    GATES Posts: 53
    I was 18 stone when i got my cannondale caad 10 and i have had no drama with the wheels

I am down to 17 now
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    Problem with modern bikes is that you can't raise the handlebars like the old style bikes - the max height is limited by the amount of steerer tube attached to the fork. In theory you could buy a new fork and cut off the steerer at a taller point, but it sounds like your budget is for an off-the-peg bike, so I'd say start looking at bikes with taller head tubes.

Off the peg bikes generally tend to come with long steerer tubes so with a decent lbs the OP could get a decent set up.

OP no-one can really advise you other than you are not too heavy for the cannondale, RS10s are quite low down the shimano scale and can easily take your 14 stone (I ran the r501s on a steel bike weighing 16 stone with no issues). Best thing to do would be try both, give them a test ride if possible and go with what suits you best.
  • A big thank you to every one for your replies and thoughts on this topic, i have been to several bike shops over the past week trying different bikes and i agree that the cannondale caad 10 is too agressive for what i intend to use it for. I felt most comfortable on a giant defy 1 and the lbs has one in my size at a v good price. Its the 2012 model, did look at the 2013 model but aside from colour i couldnt find any differences, are there any ?

next decision pedles shimano 105 or keo classics? decisions decisions ...

the only thing that is putting me off road shoes is not being able to walk in them and the touring shoes i can see shimano 82 / northwave tourers only take spd/ 2 hole cleats are there any good alternatives ?

anway going to buy it at the weekend lets hope for some good weather ( for sept) and will start putting some serious miles on it, cant wait!

Mike