Vuelta Stage 9 ***SPOILER***

victorponf
victorponf Posts: 1,187
edited August 2012 in Pro race
All about Barcelona´s stage (route, profile, old videos) in

http://www.revistadesdelacuneta.com/tengopagina.php?page=v12et09

etapa9.jpg
If you like Flandes, Roubaix or Eroica, you would like GP Canal de Castilla, www.gpcanaldecastilla.com

Comments

• Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Looks like a bit of a day off for GT contenders. I'm really enjoying this Vuelta, great final climb yesterday.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    could this be another sprint out between Degenkolb, Viviani and Benatti? or will ben Swift get a look in today?
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • ilm_zero7
    the bunch have 4:50 over the peloton - a nice comfortable gap
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    ILM Zero7 wrote:
    could this be another sprint out between Degenkolb, Viviani and Benatti? or will ben Swift get a look in today?

Depends what the pace is like over the last climb. If it's high then the sprinters will get dropped and won't get back on in time for the finish.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Blimey look at the profile:)

No compact chain sets today :D One for the fattys, is it too late for me to sign on?

Ave free fall calves
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,827
    Not so sure it will be a bunch kick.

Cat 3 clim 4Km from the finish and an uphill drag to the finish. Could be a move by J Rod or Valverde to try and get the time bonus before the TT.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • ilm_zero7
    4'30" is the gap with the 4 breakaways being: Mickael Buffaz (Cofidis), Bertjan Lindeman (Vacansoleil), Javier Chacon (Andalucia) and Martjin Maaskant (Garmin Sharp)
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Will be interesting to see what happens. If they would have done the same finish (uphill) as the TdF a couple of year ago it would have been one for the strong uphill sprinters Hushovd-style. But this time they actually go up to the castle on the top of the hill, a pretty narrow and steep ramp, definitely plenty steeper than the 8% average they give for the hill, and then back down again on wide fast roads. Will be a very cool last couple of kms
  • ilm_zero7
    looks a bit like the peloton are content to leave them out there - it stops the counter attacks by those without sprinters perhaps?
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    ILM Zero7 wrote:
    looks a bit like the peloton are content to leave them out there - it stops the counter attacks by those without sprinters perhaps?

Yerrrrp. That's usually the tactic for sprinters teams. Others fly off the front whenever the original breakaway group is reeled in too early, making it harder to control than if they'd caught the original break later on.
  • Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    18km to go. They're all back together. When I see the peleton approaching a breakaway like that, it always reminds me of the tune "Approaching Menace".
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Katusha stringing it out. Maybe Rodriguez fancies nabbing a few extra bonuses.
  • Lichtblick
    The picture is so small - is that Saxo lining up next to them?
  • Lichtblick
    What happened there? Why did they all stop?
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    afx237vi wrote:
    Katusha stringing it out. Maybe Rodriguez fancies nabbing a few extra bonuses.
    He's from Barcelona, and first time Vuelta finishes there during his career - wouldn't surprise me if he has a go at the climb to the fortress
  • Lichtblick
    No. 28 gets not one but two new wheels.
  • Lichtblick
    Every time I look away to post here, something else has happened.
  • Lichtblick
    12km to go. Here comes Sky.
  • Lichtblick
    No one else watching this?
  • afx237vi
    Tell him he can have the stage Roddy, ffs.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    I was so close to choosing Gilbert in the PTP.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Contador attacks with 5km to go

Sky chase down

Ballan goes

Noncentini and Gilbert there

JRod goes hard and gets a gap
    Contador is the Greatest
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    J rod and Gilbert going for it with 3km. Got a gap.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    This can't stick- surely?
  • frenchfighter
    Excellent Roche. Lost 1min tomorrow due to mechanical

The front two have got a ridic gap for the time they went
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    JRods back yard this
    Contador is the Greatest
  • afx237vi
    Wow, the entire peloton playing silly buggers. Cracking day for J-Rod.
  • Lichtblick
    Good win.
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,827
    What the hell were Contador, Froome and Valverde doing?

Anybody could have told them that J Rod would attack on the climb to get the bonus seconds ahead of the TT. Yet they let him go? I need to get myself a job as a DS.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • frenchfighter
    JRod extends his lead with about 5secs + bonus. Clever riding.
    Contador is the Greatest